Two students sit on a stone bench under a tree with red buds by the campus pond
Undergraduate Admissions

Applicant Categories


A graduating high school student (regardless of number of college credits taken while in high school) or a high school graduate or GED/HiSET recipient who has attempted fewer than 12 college credits after graduation and is applying to a four-year bachelor’s degree program.


A high school graduate or GED/HiSet recipient who has enrolled as a full-time degree student or who has attempted 12 or more credits of college study post high school graduation and is applying to a four-year bachelor’s degree program. This category includes Massachusetts community college graduates who receive preferential admission under the MassTransfer program.


Interchange Transfer

An enrolled degree-seeking student at UMass Boston, UMass Dartmouth, or UMass Lowell who wishes to transfer as a degree-seeking student to the Amherst campus. Students follow the same application process as transfer applicants.

Undocumented Students and DACA

We encourage the application and enrollment of undocumented students and students granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).


Veterans apply for admission in the same manner as other students. If you are a current or former member of the United States military, please contact Veterans Services as soon as you begin the application process. Their staff will be able to help you access military educational benefits.

Post-Graduate 2nd Bachelor's Degree

An applicant who has earned a bachelor's degree and is interested in earning another degree in a program different from the first.

Other Admission Categories

Other university departments process applications for the following types of students: