Integrated Learning Center at UMass Amherst
Undergraduate Admissions

MassTransfer FAQs

Visit this page to learn about our application deadlines:



Visit this page to learn about the application process:

No, you must be earning an approved associate degree in order to apply as a MassTransfer student. Otherwise, you should apply as a regular transfer student using the Common Application.

Find a list of approved programs on this page:

No, students with bachelor’s degrees are not eligible for MassTransfer and must apply as a second bachelor’s degree candidate through the Registrar’s Office. 


No, previous UMass Amherst degree-seeking students are not eligible for MassTransfer and must apply for re-enrollment as a returning student through the Registrar’s Office.

No, you are eligible to apply as long as you will be graduating before starting at UMass Amherst, including if you are in the process of completing your associate degree at the time of application. Be sure to apply by the deadline for that semester. 

If you are graduating in the summer, you can still apply for the fall. Similarly, students graduating over the winter can apply for the spring. On your application, please list the classes you plan to take and be sure to apply by the application deadlines. 

Please note: If a student’s record at the time of application raises questions about whether they will meet our admissions requirements or finish their associate degree, we may not be able to make an offer of admission for the upcoming semester. 

Visit this page to learn about our selective majors:

Architecture, education, and nursing majors are not included as major options on the application.


Due to space limitations in the program, architecture is not available for transfer students. Alternate majors include: building & construction technology, landscape architecture, and sustainable community development.


We offer an education major with concentrations in: Early Childhood Education (licensure), Special Education (licensure), and Community Education & Social Change (non-licensure). We do not admit transfer students directly into education. Instead, students need to apply to a different major (common major choices are sociology, psychology, or the discipline they want to teach) and then apply to change majors through the College of Education once they transfer. Please note: the internal application process is competitive and only occurs once a year; visit the College of Education’s website to learn more about this process.


The nursing program does not accept transfer applicants. Students earning an associate degree in nursing can apply to the RN to BSN major, which is overseen by University Without Walls.

You will need to submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities, regardless of whether you would like to transfer those credits.  We also require a Transfer Disciplinary Report from the Dean of Students Office from any previously attended four-year/residential schools; we’ll request this as part of your application process. 

While fulfilling your associate degree requirements, we recommend choosing electives and general education classes to fulfill degree requirements for your bachelor’s degree. Be sure to also complete any pre-requisites for your major.

Your UMass Amherst transfer counselor can help you identify the best program at your community college for your intended UMass Amherst major and select classes at your community college that will transfer. Also, review our approved programs page for specific advising notes related to your associate degree.

We’ll accept up to 75 semester transfer credits, and MassTransfer students are guaranteed at least 60 semester transfer credits, including credit for all General Education Foundation/STEM General Education Foundation classes.

Yes, we need your official exam scores sent to us from the testing agency to award those transfer credits.

Filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step. Don’t forget to add UMass Amherst’s Federal School Code: 002221.

Our priority filing date is March 1. You can use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to upload your tax information.

Need-based scholarships are available to MassTransfer students and will be awarded in a student's financial aid package.