A UMass Amherst student looks across the campus
Undergraduate Admissions

Residency Policy

As part of the admissions process for undergraduate students an initial determination of the residency classification is performed by Undergraduate Admissions staff. As a state institution, the University of Massachusetts Amherst then sets tuition and fees for undergraduate students based on this residency classification as defined by the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education and the New England Board of Higher Education.

In general, if an applicant is a U.S. citizen, a dependent student, and at least one parent or guardian has resided in Massachusetts for one year or longer immediately preceding starting classes at UMass Amherst, then they are eligible to be considered for in-state residency. (Vacation homes may not be used to qualify for Massachusetts residency.) Eligible non-citizens should see the International section below.

If circumstances change after the initial determination of residency students may apply for a residency change through the Bursar’s Office.

International students who are legally in the U.S. have a valid immigration status which is usually designated by letter and number. (Most common examples: F-1 status is for students; F-2 status is for their dependents; H-1B and H-1C statuses are for temporary professional workers; H-4 status is for their dependents.)

Per Massachusetts Department of Higher Education (DHE), the following immigration statuses are never eligible for in-state tuition: B-1 and B-2 (business/tourist visitors); F-1 and F-2 (students and their dependents); J-1 and J-2 (exchange visitors and their dependents); M-1, M-2, and M-3 (vocational/language study); and P (athlete/entertainer).

Per DHE some immigration statuses are eligible for in-state residency consideration although simply possessing this status may not automatically qualify a student for in-state tuition. (Examples include: Students residing in Massachusetts who have applied for permanent residency or asylum and who can submit INS documents verifying their application has been received and/or is in process , H-4 visa status, Deferred Status - DACA.) All other residency requirements must also be met (e.g. Parent/s of a dependent student must have resided in MA for at least a year).

In these cases, applicants will receive an email from Undergraduate Admissions (entitled “Residency - UMass Amherst”) that will contain specific instructions on how to move forward with an initial residency review.

If you are a legal resident of Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island or Vermont and the major you want to pursue at UMass Amherst is not available at your state’s public colleges, you may qualify for a reduced tuition rate under the Tuition Break Program.