Image for 404 Page UMass Campus Center Building
Undergraduate Admissions

Admitted Transfer Student FAQ

Complete the “Your Decision” form on your Student Status page and submit your $500 enrollment fee. Once these are completed you will be confirmed for the upcoming semester.

To ensure your space in the incoming class, please use the deposit deadline indicated in your acceptance letter. Generally, the enrollment deposit for the fall semester is June 1 and the spring semester is December 1.

Each department has their own requirements or prerequisites. We recommend looking at the department’s website to see what their requirements are for current students to change to that major. Some may only require a change of major form, while more selective programs may have additional requirements.

Please check our Bursar’s Office website for the current tuition and fee schedule.  For an estimation of the tuition and fees, please see our Financial Aid Services website.

If you are transferring in as a sophomore, junior or senior you are not required to live on campus. If you are transferring in as a first-year student then you may be required to live on campus. Please see the following link for requirements for living on campus: /living/assign/requirements.

The following link has information about off-campus housing options and resources:

About three to four weeks after acceptance your official Transfer Credit Evaluation will be posted to your SPIRE account under Academics > Transfer Credit.

Students can receive credit through Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program, College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), Dantes Subject Standardized Tests (DSST), and International A Level examinations.  Strong scores may allow for a course waiver or course credit.  All scores MUST be sent to the Office of Admissions directly from the testing agency.  It is also helpful to have a copy of your test scores on hand when first meeting with an academic advisor. This will let academic advisors know what credits you have earned.

Visit the Registrar's website for more information about transferring credit.

Welcome!  Each year we admit students from over 70 countries around the world.  Please see our checklist for admitted international students.  Also, our International Programs Office works with international students throughout their academic careers, assisting with initial immigration advising and documentation, orientation, and ongoing advising and counseling.

The New Student Orientation & Transitions staff works with advisors who will contact you at your UMass email address starting in June to arrange your first online New Student Advising & Course Registration appointment using the Navigate system. Prior to your first semester, you will meet online with an academic advisor to review placement assessment results, discuss academic requirements, and register for your classes for the upcoming semester.  Students must complete Guide to the U, register for Ready for the U, and take their placement assessments (if applicable) to be eligible to schedule an online advising and course registration appointment.  
Appointments will take place online and availability will vary by admit type (first-year, transfer, or MassTransfer), college, and academic program. Please note: new students cannot register for Fall 2023 courses before June. More information on Academic Advising can be found on the New Student Orientation and Transitions (NSOT) website here


The advisor you work with during your online New Student Advising & Course Registration appointment will be a general advisor from your academic department and may or may not be your permanent advisor. Your permanent advisor will be assigned to you on your SPIRE account on the “Student Center” tab at the beginning of your first semester.

Housing forms will be available on your SPIRE account after you submit your enrollment fee. The housing deadlines for students starting in the fall semester are in early June, and for students starting in the spring semester the deadlines are in early December. Please visit the UMass Office of Residential Life for additional information.

Yes. Your offer of admission is contingent on successful completion of all courses in progress or planned prior to your entry to UMass Amherst.

Official high school transcripts can be submitted via email to

All post-secondary institution transcripts (community colleges, other colleges, etc.) must be sent to us electronically through one of the following services:  National Clearinghouse, E-Script Safe, or Parchment. If any of these services require you to provide an email address, please use

If a high school or post-secondary transcript needs to be mailed, the address is:

UMass Amherst Undergraduate Admissions Office
Mather Building
37 Mather Drive
Amherst, MA 01003

After all college courses are completed, please have the official transcripts sent to us directly from the college. If the courses are transferrable, then the credit hours and grades will be added to your UMass Amherst record once you begin your first semester. Student-printed transcripts are not considered official.

If you decide to decline our offer of admission, please follow this link and select “I would like to decline my offer of admission.”