Image for 404 Page UMass Campus Center Building
Financial Aid

Civic Engagement & Service Learning

Students already engaged in academic service-learning initiatives can combine the activities they are doing in the community with their Federal Work-Study award. If you have work-study, and are regularly providing volunteer hours with one of the Civic Engagement and Service Learning (CESL) partner organizations, you can be paid for the work you are performing. Please see our list of Federal Work-Study Community Service agencies where UMass students may already be working. If your organization is not listed, have them contact our office to become an agency.

Please note that all required paperwork must be completed by the employing agency, and the student, before a student may be paid for hours worked. Please also be sure to review the Federal Work-Study requirements for community service and the work-study program.

For more information on Civic Engagement and Service Learning at UMass, please visit their website.