This aerial view of the University of Massachusetts shows the center of campus in the foreground, with the dorms of Southwest visible in the distance
Financial Aid

International Students

International students are not eligible for most types of financial aid.  Most types of financial aid require that the student fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA can only be completed by U.S. citizens and “eligible non-citizens.”

Generally, you are an “eligible non-citizen” and may be able to file a FAFSA if you meet any of the following criteria:

  • U.S. permanent resident with an Alien Registration card (I-551)
  • Conditional permanent resident (I-551C)
  • Other eligible non-citizen with an Arrival - Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: "Refugee," "Asylum Granted," "Parole" (I-94 confirms paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired), or "Cuban - Haitian Entrant."

If you are in the U.S. on an F1 or F2 student visa, a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or a G series visa you cannot file a FAFSA and are not eligible for federal student aid.

International undergraduate students are considered for merit scholarships by the Admissions Office as part of their admission to the university.  There may also be opportunities to apply for scholarships through your school or college, major, or other on-campus scholarship providers.

International students can apply for alternative (private) loans with a cosigner who is a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident. Learn more about alternative loan options for International Students.

You may visit the International Programs Office for helpful information for international scholars.

You may visit for information on other sources of aid available to International Students.