This aerial view of the University of Massachusetts shows the center of campus in the foreground, with the dorms of Southwest visible in the distance
Financial Aid

Student Employment - FAQ

Each student is responsible to conduct their own job search. Explore our Job Listings for part-time and seasonal positions for UMass Amherst students. Job postings include Work-Study, Non Work-Study, and both On- and Off-Campus positions. Tip: Use the filter criteria to find a job that meets your specific needs.  If you are interested in working at a specific department, contact them directly to inquire about available employment opportunities.

UMass Amherst Human Resources has their own website (click on HR Direct Login), where you can sign up and change your direct deposit information as well as view your paystubs and make changes to your W-4 (Federal) and M-4 (State) tax forms.  Use your NetID and password to login to the HR Direct website.

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a type of financial aid that is earned as wages by the student working part-time. Eligible students are awarded FWS as part of their financial aid offer.

In order to qualify for any type of financial aid, students must file a FAFSA application. March 1st is priority deadline at UMass Amherst for financial aid consideration, including FWS. Eligible students that file late may still be considered, if there are funds available.

Many Community Service Agencies have been approved as work sites for students with FWS. These opportunities are listed on our Job Board - Tip: Filter Work-Study and Off-Campus jobs. Once you are hired by an off-campus FWS site, both you and the agency will need to complete necessary paperwork from Student Employment before you begin working.

Yes, however you may not work more than eight hours in a day. We also recommend not working more than 20 hours per week during the academic session.

Federal Work-Study can be used for on-campus employment and at approved Federal Work-Study off-campus sites.

No. At UMass Amherst, Federal Work-Study is not applied to your bill, it is earned in the form of paychecks for the hours worked.

Yes. Income earned through Federal Work-Study is taxable.

Once all required paperwork has been completed and you begin working, timesheets are submitted each week. You will receive a bi-weekly paycheck for the hours worked during the previous two weeks.

Enroll in direct deposit and view your paystubs through the UMass Amherst Human Resources website (click on HR Direct Login and use your UMass Net ID and password)s.

In most cases, no. During the summer term, non-enrolled students working in non-work-study positions subject to FICA may be eligible to accrue and use paid sick time prior to the start of the academic year. Visit the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office for more information regarding the state’s Earned Sick Time policy.