Honors College
Financial Aid

Summer Aid

If you plan to take courses over the summer, you may be eligible to receive financial aid to offset the costs. The financial aid programs available for the summer are Federal Direct loans, Summer Work-Study and Federal Pell Grant (for eligible undergraduate students) and credit based alternative loans.

For more information on eligibility for financial aid, go to the eligibility section of this site.

If you want to be considered for summer financial aid, you must:

  • Be currently enrolled in a degree-granting program at UMass Amherst.
  • Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). If you have a SAP issue, it must be resolved by the summer application deadline (July 30, 2021) before your summer financial aid application can be processed.
  • Complete the appropriate UMass Amherst Summer Financial Aid Application on the Forms section of this site.

To apply for summer financial aid, you must:

  • File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • Complete the appropriate UMass Amherst Summer Financial Aid Application on the Forms section of this site.
  • Most forms are available for completion via DocuSign, or an interactive PDFs that you can completed, signed and submitted to office via fax or email.
    • Click on the DocuSign link to complete, sign and submit electronically.
    • You are required to use your UMass email address to DocuSign form.
    • Or click on name of form to open fillable PDF.
    • You may also submit your application materials via email to: fadocs@umass.edu or by FAX at 413.545.1700.
  • If your FAFSA was selected for verification, check your To Do List on SPIRE and submit any requested documents promptly.
  • All required documents must be received by the deadline date or your request for summer aid cannot be processed.

You may receive financial aid to attend a summer study abroad program, if it is an approved program with the International Programs Office (IPO). To receive aid, your program must be at least six(6) credits. To apply:

  • Contact the International Programs Office (IPO) to register for classes and have your program approved.
  • Indicated on IPO Program Questionnaire that you would like to be considered for financial aid for the summer term.
  • File a current year FAFSA.

You may receive financial aid if you are enrolled in a summer internship or independent study. The internship or independent study must be credit-approved academic work and you must register with University Without Walls (UWW) for at least six(6) credits. Contact your sponsoring professor or program director for assistance.

If you are applying for Federal Direct Loans, you are required to take at least six(6) credits during the summer session.

If you are applying for Summer Work-Study only, you are not required to enroll in classes for the summer session.

Pell Grant eligible undergraduate students will be awarded a Federal Pell Grant based on the number of credits enrolled.

If you are a graduate student working on a dissertation or field research that is considered at least half time by your program director, you may be eligible for summer financial aid.

If you are applying for an Alternative Loan you must comply with the lender’s criteria regarding credits and enrollment status. We recommend you apply for federal financial aid first. Visit the lender’s website to get information about the application process.

If you do not enroll for the minimum number of credits during the summer we cannot award you loans.

Additionally, if at any time during the summer session you fall below the required six(6) credit minimum, your loans will be canceled.

Students taking summer classes: All UMass Amherst matriculated students will be able to register for summer classes in SPIRE, prior to financial aid being finalized. Please note the ability to register does not ensure receipt of summer financial aid.

Students going on exchange: Contact IPO and complete the Summer Study Abroad Program Questionnaire to get your program approved. Indicate that you would like to be considered for summer financial aid. The International Programs Office (IPO) will register you for the classes and notify Financial Aid Services of your enrollment and program eligibility.

If the cost of your courses exceeds the financial aid award you receive, you are responsible for paying the difference.

Federal Pell Grants: Eligible students will be awarded a Federal Pell Grant based on the number of credits enrolled. Students should be aware that there are lifetime limits for Federal Pell Grants and that any Pell Grants awarded in summer will count toward those limits.

Federal Direct Loans: During the summer session you may receive half of an academic year annual eligibility in Federal Direct Loans. For award amounts review the Summer Financial Aid Application & Eligibility Information on the Forms section of this site.

Summer Work-Study: During the summer you may earn up to $4,000 in work-study, unless you graduate in May (e.g. students graduating in May 2021 are not eligible for work-study during the summer of 2021).

Federal PLUS Loans and Alternative Loans: You may receive up to the cost of attendance minus any financial aid received. We encourage you to apply for federal financial aid first. Remember to borrow responsibly. Loans are a debt that must be repaid with interest.

To apply for a Parent PLUS or Graduate PLUS Loan you must complete a Summer PLUS Loan Application Form available on the Forms section of this site.

Your cost of attendance for the summer includes a room and board allowance. However, the financial aid you may be eligible for may not cover these costs. You may want to consider applying for an alternative loan to pay for these expenses. You may also earn work-study to help pay for living expenses.

When will summer financial aid be applied/disbursed* to my bill?

  • For students enrolled in six(6) or more credits during Summer Session One, financial aid will disbursed on or after May 30, 2021.
  • For students enrolled in less than six(6) credits during Summer Session One, financial aid will disbursed on or after July 1, 2021.

Please note that a total of six(6) credits of summer enrollment (Session One or Session Two combined) is required to qualify for Federal Direct Loans (subsidized, unsubsidized, PLUS)

  • The disbursement of summer Alternative Loans will occur at the time the funds are received as long as you meet the eligibility/lender criteria for the loan. Alternative Loan funds are received twice weekly by UMass Amherst.

*Disbursed means the day the summer funds are credited to your university bill, not the day you will receive an excess/refund.

If you are eligible for a refund you will receive it through the Excess Express process.

For more information about Excess Express visit the Bursar's Office website.

Review your Rights and Responsibilities for applying and receiving financial aid.