This aerial view of the University of Massachusetts shows the center of campus in the foreground, with the dorms of Southwest visible in the distance
Financial Aid

International Students

International students are not eligible for financial aid. You can apply for an alternative loan if you are able to obtain a U.S. citizen or permanent resident cosigner.

Learn more about alternative loan options for International Students.

Financial aid is available to eligible non-citizens. Generally, you are an eligible non-citizen if you meet any of the following criteria:

  • U.S. permanent resident with an Alien Registration card (I-551)
  • Conditional permanent resident (I-551C)
  • Other eligible non-citizen with an Arrival - Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: "Refugee," "Asylum Granted," "Parole" (I-94 confirms paroled for a minimum of one year and status has not expired), or "Cuban - Haitian Entrant."

If you are in the U.S. on an F1 or F2 student visa, a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or a G series visa you are not eligible for federal student aid.

You may visit the International Programs Office for information on scholarship opportunities.

You may visit for information on other sources of aid available to International Students.