Massachusetts Group Insurance Commission Life Insurance
The MA Group Insurance Commission (GIC) offers benefited employees two (2) term life insurance coverage options. Life insurance provides financial protection for the beneficiaries of covered employees in the case of an employee's death and can also provide an 'accelerated death benefit', resulting in partial payment of life insurance to the employee while alive.
Plan and Premium Information
Note that GIC Optional life insurance premiums:
- Automatically increase when a member turns 35 years of age and every five years thereafter until the member is over 70 years of age.
- GIC Optional life insurance rates for retirees are higher than those for employees. Premiums increase upon retirement and every five years thereafter until after the member turns 100 years of age. Please reference the GIC's State Retiree & Survivor's Benefits Guide for premium information.
GIC Life Insurance Options
The GIC offers two life insurance coverage options to benefited employees:
Basic Life Insurance
Basic Life Insurance is a flat $5,000 term life insurance benefit benefit for which employees contribute 20% or 25% of the premium (based on date of hire). Enrollment in basic life insurance is required in order to purchase GIC health insurance coverage.
Optional Term Life Insurance
Optional term life insurance is available as:
- A flat dollar amount in increments up to $1,000 less than the employee’s annual salary.
- A multiple of one-to-eight times (1-8x) the employee's base annual salary. Life insurance coverage, and corresponding premiums, increase as base annual salary increases.
Application for Coverage
Benefited employees may:
- Enroll for GIC life insurance coverage within 21 days of hire into a benefited position for coverage effective the first day of the month following 60 days of covered employment.
- Apply for GIC life insurance after the 21 day initial enrollment period. The GIC's life insurance carrier reviews applications based on medical evidence of insurability and approves or denies coverage on that basis. You may apply for the coverage online via the MyGICPortal (navigating to Benefits > My Benefits Summary > Life Insurance) or by completing and returning a GIC Enrollment/Change Form 1 to the UMass Amherst Human Resources Employee Service Center.
- Employees actively at work, who are carrying basic life insurance and who have the following qualifying family status changes may enroll in, or increase, optional life insurance coverage without evidence of insurability in an amount not to exceed four times (4x) their salary: marriage, birth/adoption, divorce and death of a spouse. Proof of the qualifying event and the enrollment request must be received by the GIC within 31 days of the qualifying event.
To apply for the coverage online via the MyGICPortal (navigating to Qualifying Events) or by completing and returning a GIC Enrollment/Change Form 1 to the UMass Amherst Human Resources Employee Service Center.
Cancellation or Reduction of Coverage
Employees (and retirees) may reduce or cancel coverage effective the first day of a future month by submitting the request online via the MyGICPortal (navigating to Benefits > My Benefits Summary > Life Insurance) or by completing and returning a GIC Enrollment/Change Form 1 to the UMass Amherst Human Resources Employee Service Center.
Employees may apply to re-enroll for, or increase, coverage thereafter and may be approved or denied coverage by the GIC's life insurance vendor based on medical evidence of insurability.