There are many benefits to consider with this change in your family including your insurance coverage(s), life & retirement beneficiaries, tax designations and more.
If you are changing your legal name please change your name with Human Resources for tax and insurance purposes.
You may wish to change your state and/or federal income tax withholding online in HR Direct or by submitting updated tax forms at the HR Employee Service Center. Please contact a tax specialist or financial advisor if you require tax advice.
You may wish to add your spouse (and their qualifying dependents, if applicable) to your insurance coverages.
- GIC Health Insurance: you can add your new spouse (and qualifying dependents) to your GIC health insurance plan by completing the enrollment process within 60 days of your marriage. Premiums are provided in the GIC’s Benefits Decision Guide.
- Dental Insurance:
You can add your new spouse (and qualifying dependents) to your dental insurance plan within 30 days of your marriage. Dental Insurance plans differ based on your bargaining unit:
- Health Care Spending Account (HCSA) and Dependent Care Assistance Program (DCAP): you may wish to:
- Enroll in (or increase your contributions to) either of these tax savings programs by submitting your request with proof of qualifying event online to the GIC's FSA vendor within 30 days of your marriage.
- Reflect your spouse's information dependent in the GIC's FSA vendor's online system.
You may wish to change the beneficiary(ies) for your life insurance or retirement benefits:
- GIC basic and optional life insurance beneficiaries: please come to the Human Resources Employee Service Center, visit the GIC's forms website, or call the GIC at (617)727-2310 extension 1 or TDD/TTY (617) 227-8583 for the appropriate beneficiary form.
- State Employees’ Retirement System: SERS Beneficiary Form or SERS Option D Form (more information about SERS beneficiaries vs Option D beneficiaries available on-line at When Option D Comes Before Option C)
- Optional Retirement Program: complete a new ORP Insurance Enrollment and Change form and submit it through the Human Resources Employee Service Center.
- 403(b) and/or 457 plans: contact your vendor directly to change your beneficiary for these account(s).