Tuition Waivers for Benefited Employees
Tuition Waiver for Benefited University Faculty and Staff
The Tuition Waiver/Remission form webpage provides the tuition discount application form and process. Please note: tuition discounts (waivers and remissions) apply to classes taken at Massachusetts public institutions of higher education (exclusions outlined in the Trustee tuition discount policy as updated.
The UMass Amherst Bursar's Office website provides the value of tuition discounts for classes taken at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
Tuition Waiver Benefit
As described below, the University offers tuition discounts at the UMass campuses in the form of Student Tuition Credits to University Employees and retirees, and the Spouses and Dependent Children of University Employees, retirees, and certain deceased University Employees. These standards are defined in the Trustee tuition discount policy (refer also to M.G.L. c.150E, § 7(d).) Where a discrepancy exists between the information on this webpage and the policy, the policy shall prevail.
STUDENT TUITION CREDITS (Continuing Education Courses not included*)
Employment Relationship &
Current/Active University Employees (1)
|Undergraduate Courses or Programs
|Graduate Courses or Programs
Retired University Employees (2)
Spouses and Dependent Children of Current/Active
Undergraduate Courses or Programs
| -Benefited University Employee with fewer than 2
Full-time Equivalent Years of Service
| -Benefited University Employee with 2 or more
Full-time Equivalent Years of Service
Graduate Courses or Programs
Spouses and Dependent Children of Retired
Spouses and Dependent Children of Deceased
*For continuing education classes taken at UMass, tuition credit is offered at 50% to eligible employees.
(1) Part-time University Employees are eligible for up to seven (7) credits per semester.
(2) One (1) program of study.
(3) Completion of one (1) undergraduate program of study if dependent is enrolled at time of retirement.
(4) With at least five (5) years of FTE University Service; one (1) undergraduate program of study.
- A terminated University Employee (or the Spouse or Dependent Child of a Terminated University Employee) may complete a semester or course for which a Student Tuition Credit was previously applied.
- All fees, books and other course materials are the employee's responsibility; the tuition discount does not apply to the M.D. program at UMass Medical School, programs and the J.D. program at UMass Law School at UMass Dartmouth, and courses and programs identified by a campus as Continuing Education except as noted above*.
- UMass Global courses are not eligible for a tuition discount under the tuition waiver / remission program.
This information is provided as a general reference; where information that appears here differs from Trustee or University policy, the policy prevails.
How to Apply for a Tuition Credit or Remission
Benefited University faculty and staff should complete and submit the Tuition Waiver/Remission Form to Human Resources to request reduction in tuition charged for classes they or qualified dependents are taking at a Massachusetts public institution of higher education. This process should be completed before the end of add/drop during every semester in which courses are being taken.
Benefited UMass Amherst Employee Tuition Waiver/Remission Application Process:
Benefited employees requesting a tuition waiver should complete boxes 1 & 2 of the Tuition Waiver/Remission Form (securing completion of Box 3 if applicable) and submit the form via AskHR or bring the completed form to the Human Resources Employee Service Center – please note, your signature is required on the form. UMass Amherst HR will complete Box four and:
- If the class(es) are being taken at UMass Amherst, e-mail the completed form to the UMass Amherst Bursar cc the employee.
- If the classes(es) are being taken at another MA public institution of higher education, Human Resources will e-mail the complete form to the UMass employee for submission to the Bursar at the school where classes are being taken. Please note, if a hard copy form with wet signature is required by the other school please provide mailing instructions in the email when submitting the form.
Tuition Waiver/Remission at other Massachusetts State Colleges / Universities
Tuition Discount for courses taken at at other Massachusetts Public State Colleges / Universities
Employees with six (6) months or more of full-time benefited service (or equivalent benefited part-time service), their spouses and dependent children, who are enrolled in a full-time state supported program at a Massachusetts public university or community college other than the University of Massachusetts may be eligible for tuition discounts through the Commonwealth's Tuition Remission program. Please discuss the value of the tuition remission with the Bursar's or Financial Aid Office at the school where classes are being taken.