Enrollments can take up to 20 business days to process, depending on volume.
If you are not a matriculated student taking five or more credits, you are not automatically enrolled in the SHBP. If you are in need of insurance coverage, you may be eligible for optional enrollment in the SHBP. The Enrollment Form must be filled out each semester for any optional enrollment.
Family Plan: Download the Affidavit of Domestic Partnership. Send this form, along with the enrollment form, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Optional enrollment is available for those who are:
- Matriculated in a day academic program taking fewer than five credits per semester
- Graduate students matriculated in a day academic program who've paid the Continuous Enrollment Fee for the semester
- Matriculated into an undergraduate program through Continuing Education or University Without Walls, are legal residents of Massachusetts and are taking six or more credits per semester
- Matriculated into a graduate program through Continuing Education, are legal residents of Massachusetts, and are taking six or more credits per semester
- Online students matriculated into a graduate program through Continuing Education, are legal residents of Massachusetts, and are taking six or more credits per semester
- Matriculated Continuing Education students participating in off-campus programs
Non-matriculated students are not eligible for health plan enrollment.
When to Enroll
If you need to complete the Enrollment Form for the fall semester, it's highly recommended that you submit it in late June or early July. Fall semester coverage begins August 1. For the spring semester, it's best to submit the enrollment form in December; coverage begins mid-January.
Please Note: You must be registered for at least one credit or have paid the Continuous Enrollment Fee for your enrollment form to be processed. If you haven't registered yet, Patient Services will hold your enrollment form until you do, but processing will be delayed. Processing can take up to 20 business days. If you submit the enrollment form before the semester's add/drop deadline, enrollment will backdate to the start date of that semester's SHBP. You'll be able to be seen at UHS right away; if you're seen elsewhere or try to obtain prescriptions, you may encounter difficulties until the enrollment is fully processed.
The available SHBP Family Plan covers a student’s spouse or same-sex domestic partner, and/or unmarried dependent children under age 26. To purchase the family plan and enroll eligible family members, you must be personally enrolled in the SHBP. A marriage certificate and birth certificates for qualifying dependents are required to enroll in the family plan.
Family plan enrollments must be renewed every semester by filling out the Enrollment Form. Fax, email, mail, or deliver the form to UHS Patient Services before the end of the semester's add/drop period.
Matriculated students participating in official off-campus programs are eligible to enroll in the individual SHBP and purchase the SHBP family plan.