Fall 2024 MIE Registration Notes

Summary of Steps (see below for details):

  1. Schedule an advising appointment
  2. Review your Academic Requirements Report (ARR) on SPIRE. Review your ARR
  3. Review the curriculum flowchart (note that the requirements in the flowchart and ARR are the same).  
    1. ME Flowchart and  ME Tech electives
    2.  IE Flowchart and  IE Tech elective
  4. Complete a fillable Course Selection Form (CSF); save document using this naming convention: Last name_First name CSF F24)
  5. Send your ARR & CSF to your advisor at least 24 hours before your appointment
  6. Meet with your advisor in-person or via Zoom (March 26 - April 16)
  7. Enroll in classes once your enrollment appointment opens (beginning April 8 for seniors). Note: for classes that you are not able to add, contact the respective department academic advisor for an override into the class.
  8. No make-up advising.

Required Registration Process

See SPIRE to determine when your Enrollment Appointment (the date and time you are able to begin registering for classes) opens. Students must meet with an advisor before they can enroll in classes. Advising is optional for MIE students entering their senior or junior years (four of fewer semesters remaining after the current semester) with a 3.3 cumulative GPA or higher; however, you must still complete a CSF and send it to Kevin Romani (kromani [at] umass [dot] edu (kromani[at]umass[dot]edu)) for review and to lift your hold. You should submit this to Kevin at least three days before your enrollment appointment begins to allow time for your hold to be lifted

ME seniors (1 or 2 semesters remaining not including the current semester), and all IE majors meet with their faculty advisor as shown on SPIRE. Remaining transfer students will meet with the Chief Undergraduate Advisor (CUA), Dr. Schliemann, and all other [ME] students should meet with Graduate Student Advisors.

Recommended General Education Courses

Some general education courses are more demanding than others. Students should select courses that they find interesting, yet have a manageable workload so they are able to succeed in all their classes. Many engineering majors take 100-level anthropology, botany, insect, kinesiology, micro- and macroeconomics, nutrition, philosophy, and psychology courses. Additional information on general education course is provided here.

Curriculum Planning & ARR

The ARR report is used for graduation clearance. Each student should check their Academic Requirements Report (ARR) on SPIRE and contact the MIE Academic Advisor if there are any errors or omissions, particularly regarding transfer credits, AP credits, elective courses, and GenEd courses. Graduating seniors should check their SPIRE Graduation Date and Academic Requirements Report to verify that all degree requirements will be satisfied. Note, if you enroll in an IE elective, MIE elective, or technical elective that does not automatically appear in the correct location of your ARR, please contact the MIE Academic Advisor a week after add/drop so the adjustment can be made manually.       

In order to keep the enrollment process fair for all MIE students, we have implemented SPIRE waitlists in lieu of asking students to contact instructors. Please join the waitlist on SPIRE for any MIE classes that are full; waitlists represent only 10% of the class capacity. NOTE: if the waitlist is also full, please check SPIRE later or find an alternative class – please do not contact the instructor.

If you are unable to enroll in a non-MIE course, please request an override from the department offering the course.

Register as soon as your SPIRE enrollment appointment opens if you need a specific class or section. Many required courses are offered both semesters. Students who cannot enroll in a specific class this semester will be accommodated in the next semester. Students may register for either MIE 302 or MIE 313 and either MIE 402 or MIE 413; students who register for both will be dropped from one of the courses without prior notice.  In addition, both MIE 313 and 413 enrollment will be capped in the fall semester so you are encouraged to take these courses in the spring if possible. If a specific course is essential and you are not able to enroll for any reason, please contact the MIE Academic Advisor immediately. Note that MIE 201 and 273 are essentially interchangeable and do not need to be completed in the semester indicated on the curriculum worksheet. Send override requests to the MIE Academic Advisor – not course instructors.

If you are interested in UMass Amherst summer or winter classes, request an enrollment appointment through SPIRE. Classes typically offered during summer are CEE 310 (technical elective), CICS 110 (in lieu of MIE 124), ENGIN 351, MIE 230, MIE 273, MIE 310, MIE 375, and MIE 422 (IE core course or ME technical elective). Winter classes are typically limited to geneds. To enroll in a summer or winter class, first logon to SPIRE: Enrollment > Summer/Wtr/Non-deg Enroll Appt; then add the appropriate summer or winter session. Note: for classes that you are not able to add, contact the respective department academic advisor for an override into the class.

You are invited to contact faculty anytime about future UTA opportunities; probably the best time is when you are getting ready for your advising appointment. Students can satisfy the MIE or IE Elective requirement by completing the UTA Practicum, MIE 398T. Interested students should contact the faculty teaching the course for more information; faculty select UTAs for their course(s) and students can only serve as an UTA for one class per semester. Students serving as UTAs for a second or greater time will not receive academic credit, but will be paid (typically for 5 hours per week).

Students should also consider paid tutor positions for the Learning Resource Center. We have had issues filling LRC SI and tutoring positions for our sophomore and junior MIE courses and need some of you to apply for these important jobs; applications can be found on the LRC website: https://www.umass.edu/lrc/student-employment . A MATLAB tutor can be found in 126 Marston Hall for all students needing MATLAB help regardless of the class they are taking. 

Read more about available academic support.

Link to MIE Undergraduate Independent Study form >>

Many MIE students have and are studying abroad. The spring semester of your sophomore or fall semester of your senior years are best suited for this opportunity. Please see an International Programs Office advisor (IPO Study Abroad) and then meet with the CUA (Dr. Schliemann) if you are interested .

Students interested in the 5-year double major in German and engineering iSTEP program which includes a year in Germany (one semester of classes and then an internship with a German manufacturing company) should visit https://www.umass.edu/german/iSTEPUpon return from abroad, students should meet with the MIE Academic Advisor to ensure all courses transfer correctly.

Internships do not replace a class. You can earn pass/fail credit for an internship, but you do not need any additional credits to graduate (since you will exceed the 120 minimum regardless). To earn P/F credit, you will need to pay for a summer course (independent study) – this is particularly relevant for international students and the CUA will sponsor your independent study. 

It is often possible to arrange an independent study which can be used as an ME or IE Tech Electives. Students are encouraged to approach faculty to discuss topics of mutual interest. Note that only one Tech Elective can be satisfied with MIE 396 or 496 and honors students cannot complete an independent study to meet a technical elective requirement. 


The Aeronautics, ASME Design, Formula Racing, Rocket, and Supermileage Vehicle teams offer significant practical experience that enhance your undergraduate education. Each team competes annually with other collegiate teams and is open to all MIE students. Academic credit options are also available for participation on these teams. For MIE or IE elective credit, students in leadership positions or those aspiring to be in leadership positions (usually juniors) can take MIE 398C Competition Team Leadership Practicum in the fall for 1 credit and later take MIE 396 (an independent study) for 2 credits. The practicum should be taken every year by all team leaders for credit or audit. Your competitive team faculty advisor will be the advisor for the independent study. For technical elective credit, students can complete MIE 496 (also an independent study) with the team faculty advisor; however, the topic must include a technical aspect of the design for the upcoming or future national competition and a 20-page technical report is required. Finally and only upon approval of one of the senior capstone instructors, groups of students on the team(s) can complete the design, analysis, fabrication, and testing on some component(s) of their model/vehicle.

Advisors offer assistance, but they do not plan the student’s course of study. Curriculum worksheets are only guides as not all required courses are offered every semester. Please inform the MIE Academic Advisor now about any problems that arise from anticipated course offerings. 

Before taking classes at another campus, students must complete a prior approval form: https://www.umass.edu/registrar/sites/default/files/PriorApprovalforTransferWork.pdf; this is to prevent students from spending time and money on a class that will not transfer in for credit towards your undergraduate degree. Classes completed elsewhere do not impact your UMass cumGPA and will not count for credit unless a grade of “C-“ or above is earned. The Registrar’s Office approves all general education requirements (their email address is included in the prior approval form), the Office of Student Affairs in 126 Marston Hall approves all science and math courses (the form may be sent to them at coeadvising@umass.edu), and the CUA approves all MIE courses (the form may be addressed to Dr. Schliemann at bfschlie@umass.edu).   If you have any problems with transfer credit, email your name, student ID, and course information (both course description and syllabus) to the CUA. Note: course(s) you completed elsewhere must appear on your UMass transcript before MIE course credit can be awarded. Courses taken elsewhere for the 3rd or greater time need prior approval from the Academic Dean.

The requirements for departmental honors are:

  1. 1. MIE H313 & MIE H413 (for ME) and MIE H379, MIE 397DH, & MIE H460 (for IE) each with their parent course (e.g., MIE 313); students must complete these courses or substitute ENGIN 351H for one of them. ENGIN 351H is specifically designed to initiate your honors thesis or project.
  2. 2. Honors Thesis. MIE 499Y Honors Research with MIE 499T/P Thesis/Portfolio (find potential advisors). Honors students are enrolled into MIE 499Y after their research proposal is approved.

Students can request departmental honors and exceptions to the offerings in 1 above through the MIE Honors Program Director, Dr. Jae-Hwang Lee, leejh@umass.edu. In addition, MIE 499Y and 499T/P each satisfy a ME or IE Tech Elective. Note, that honors students cannot complete an independent study to meet a technical elective requirement as both MIE 499Y and MIE 499T/P are essentially independent studies.

iCons Concentration

The requirements for the Integrated Concentration in Science (https://icons.cns.umass.edu/) have some overlap with both the industrial and mechanical engineering curriculum: iCons 1 satisfies an interdisciplinary (I) gened, iCons 2 satisfies ENGIN 351, and iCons 3 satisfies the IE or MIE elective, and your senior capstone course (MIE 415 or 478) plus an independent study (MIE 496 or 499Y) satisfy iCons4. 

Undergraduate students must take a minimum of 12 credits per semester to retain full-time student status. If you fall below this minimum, you are not eligible for campus housing, risk any financial aid you have been awarded, and may lose any UMass health coverage; see the appropriate campus office if you have any questions.  

Fundamentals of Engineering Exam

Although not required for most ME and IE jobs, students should consider taking the FE exam during their last semester while undergraduate course knowledge is still familiar. The 8-hour exam consists of 180 multiple choice questions. After passing the FE exam, one must obtain at least 4 years of experience (accepted by specific state licensing board) and then take the Principles and Practice (PE) exam. See http://ncees.org/engineering/  for more information. Chi Epsilon from CEE typically offers free review sessions taught by CEE faculty every spring semester.

Certified SolidWorks Associate Exam

SolidWorks CAD software is installed on computers in the Exploratorium (Elab 203). In addition, you can download the student version of SolidWorks at no cost and there tutorials included. Students should also consider taking the no-cost CSWA exam before seeking an internship, co-op, or job. See https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/cswa-academic for more information and a sample exam. Contact Jennifer Blake, jblake@umass.edu for the link to the current version of SolidWorks. Once you are ready to take the self-administered CSWA exam, request an exam opportunity from Jennifer Blake, jblake@umass.edu; the exam instructions are available at https://solidworks.virtualtester.com/#home. Note that the exam opportunities are only good for 30 days.