Search Google Appliance

Information Technology

Students - View Your Academic Requirements Reports

We're taking you to an updated version of this article.

UMass Amherst Information Technology support articles are now updated in the new IT Knowledge Base. We found an updated version of this article, so we're sending you there.

Taking you to:
Redirecting in

Stay here to view this page in the legacy Support Center.
Information may be outdated as these articles are no longer maintained.

Find answers to your tech questions in the new IT Knowledge Base.

UMass Amherst Information Technology support articles are now updated in the new IT Knowledge Base.

This article is part of our archived legacy Support Center and may be outdated or inaccurate.
We did not find an updated version of this article. That means this archived content is more likely to be outdated or no longer relevant.
Check the new IT Knowledge Base for updated information:

More tech help options

About Academic Requirements Reports

Undergraduates, use Academic Requirements reports in SPIRE to check your progress toward earning your degree. The reports show which requirements you have already satisfied and which ones you still need to satisfy in order to graduate.

The reports are Academic Requirements Report (ARR) and the Course Enrollment Planning Report (CEPR). In many cases, the reports include course lists for your major requirements as a quick reference to help you plan how to complete your major.

Who Can Use Academic Requirements Reports?

You can use these reports if you are an active, undergraduate degree-seeking student (includes UWW students - see note). 

Students who cannot use the Academic Requirements reports include:
- graduate students,
- non-degree or non-credit students, or
- discontinued undergraduates.
If you are in one of these student categories, consult with an advisor for information about your degree requirements and progress.

UWW students: Because you create your own program of study, SPIRE does not have a standard set of major requirements for you like it does for department-based majors. Your reports can compare your academic history against University-level requirements only, and you must consult with an advisor for specific information about your individual degree requirements and progress. For the same reason, your requirements reports never include course lists.

ARR or CEPR: Which Report Should You Use?

As of March 2014, you have two kinds of Academic Requirements reports.  Choose your report according to your purpose:

1. Academic Requirements Report (ARR)

  Purpose: To provide focus on unsatisfied requirements to guide enrollment decisions.

Details: The ARR never includes classes in your enrollment Shopping Cart. Use the ARR to evaluate degree progress based on course history and current enrollments.

Menu item: ARR NoShopping Cart

2. Course Enrollment Planning Report (CEPR)

Purpose: To explore the effect a class might have on degree progress without enrolling in it.

Details: The CEPR is a new report you can use to plan enrollment so you can make sure that the classes you choose help you meet unsatisfied requirements. It includes Shopping Cart classes, along with completed and in-progress classes.  Put classes in your Shopping Cart and then run the CEPR to see how they match up against your requirements.

Menu item: CEPR W/Shopping Cart

How to Read Academic Requirements Reports

  • The reports display all University requirements first (including General Education requirements), followed by your College's requirements and then by your department's requirements for your major.  Horizontal blue bars divide the reports into sections and show you how the requirements are grouped. Both reports also include details such as your current GPA and the number of credits you have earned toward your degree.
  • Unsatisfied requirements appear as expanded items on the reports so that you can see details, such as how many and which kind of classes you need to take to satisfy a particular requirement. Satisfied requirements are collapsed to make it easy to tell the difference. Arrows allow you to expand or collapse requirements as you wish.
  • For important information about how Academic Requirements reports use your course history to satisfy requirements, see Academic Requirements Report on the University Registrar’s website.
  • Pay attention to any notes you find in a requirement’s details. Be sure to read the notes in the University Graduation Requirements section of either report if you are currently repeating a class. Expand the section to find the notes, if necessary.

Run Academic Requirements Reports

  1. Click the down arrow on the other academic... drop-down list to the left of your Class Schedule on the Student Center to see the options.
  2. Select the report you wish to run, either ARR NoShopping Cart or CEPR WShopping Cart.
  3. Click the double-right arrow button beside the drop-down box to run the appropriate report.
  4. Important: Be sure that you understand how the ARR and CEPR use classes that are in-progress (both reports) or in your Shopping Cart (CEPR only) to determined which requirements to display as completed. The reports assume that you will or might earn an 'A' for those classes. Tip: After you've reviewed unsatisfied requirements, click expand all at the top of the report to see which classes it is using to satisfy other requirements. Look for the yellow-diamond status icon that signifies in-progress classes and the blue-star status icon that signifies Shopping Cart classes.

Use Course Lists to Add a Class to Your Shopping Cart

For most of your unsatisfied major requirements, you will find a course list in the reports. The course list shows classes that can be used to satisfy the unmet requirement.

Note: In most cases, you will see the course list on the Academic Requirement Report page. If there are more than 10 classes in the list, click View All at the bottom of the course list to see all of the classes. In some cases, when the course list is very long, you will see a course list link. Click the course list link to view the long course list. Use the navigation options at the bottom of the course list page to navigate among the classes. In other cases, if the course list is both very long and the requirement is very complex, then you will not have a couse list option and should check with an advisor about what classes would satisfy the requirement.

  1. In the course lists, click any course title link to open the Course Detail page for that class.
  2. On the Course Detail page, click view class sections.
  3. Scroll down to see the Course Schedule. Check the term information at the top of the Course Schedule to confirm it is the term for which you want to enroll in the class. If it is not the term you want, use the term drop-down list to select a different term, as available, and click show sections. If it is the term you want, review the available class sections. For any open or waitlisted class for which you are eligible to enroll, click the select button to add that class to your Shopping Cart.
  4. The Add to Shopping Cart - Enrollment Preferences page opens. Review the information and make sure you chose the class you want, for the correct term and meeting days/times. If the class is what you want, click the NEXT button.
  5. You then return to the Course Detail page. A message at the top of the page confirms that the class was added to your Shopping Cart.
  6. If you want to keep the class in your Shopping Cart but enroll in it later, you can stop at this point. Click the link Return to My Academic Requirements. If you want to enroll in the class and add it to your class schedule, then in the message click the link click here to go to the Add Classes to Shopping Cart page.
  7. To enroll in the class and add it to your class schedule, on the Add Classes to Shopping Cart page, select the class, click enroll, and then complete the enrollment process in the usual way. Learn how to add classes.
  8. Be sure to clear out your Shopping Cart as soon as you have finished registration for the term!

Undergraduate Students: Print Your Academic Requirements Report and Course History

Do you want to print your Academic Requirements Report?

  1. Click the View Report as PDF button at the beginning of the report. A PDF version of your report opens that includes your degree progress information showing your satisfied and unsatisfied requirements, courses that fulfill your unsatisfied requirements, and your course history of the courses you completed, have in progress, and any grades, test or transfer credits earned for those courses.
  2. Print the PDF file from your browser. See Printing from SPIRE for more information.