Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Encouraging an entrepreneurial spirit to translate our innovations into real world solutions and new businesses.
You've got the breakthrough idea, but do you have the resources you need to take it further?
Here in the College of Engineering we actively promotes intellectual property creation, technology transfer, and the formation of startup companies based on engineering innovations and patents.
Within the college, and the campus innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystem, you will find:
- Makerspaces for hacking.
- Competitions that award student innovators—including the Tech Challenge
- An entrepreneur in residence (EIR) program of successful alumni who provide mentoring & support for our engineering innovators.
- The National Science Foundation (NSF) I-Corps site program at UMass Amherst, providing funds & training for STEM faculty and students to elevate their research and bring cutting-edge innovations from the lab to the market.
- The Institute for Applied Life Sciences (IALS) which translates fundamental research into innovative product candidates, technologies, and services that deliver benefits to human health & well-being.
- Manning/IALS translational grants that advance applied R&D efforts through the development of spin-out/startup companies.