Declare a Major in Engineering
Instructions on entering or changing an Engineering major, as well as requesting course overrides.
Fall 2023: If you are interested in changing your major into Engineering, from another college on campus, we are offering an information session on Zoom on Wednesday evening 10/18 at 6:30 pm. Register here! https://forms.gle/5Hqut1aXHqyouYBN8
To change your major to engineering
Students in other majors on campus must meet the following criteria to be eligible to enter the College of Engineering:
- Academic good standing
- Most recent term GPA of 2.0 or better (from Fall or Spring, not winter or summer)
- C or better in Math 131*, EnglWr 112 and either Chem 111 or Physics 151
- If you elected P/F in one of the required courses, underlying grades will be used to determine your eligibility to switch into the College of Engineering. For the Spring 2021 semester ONLY, a C- or better is acceptable in these required courses.
* If have AP Credit for Math 131, you must take Math 132 instead.
You must apply and be admitted to the College no later than your fourth semester at the University. Please note that you should be taking Engineering courses BEFORE this to stay on track to graduate within four to five years.
Use a Change of Major Form only upon meeting eligibility criteria above.
Change of majors are processed at the end of each semester, after grades have been finalized by the Registrar’s Office. If you submit your request in the middle of the semester and do qualify to switch, please note that it could take up to three weeks to process your request!
Switching majors within the College of Engineering
Before changing your track or Engineering major within the College, it is best to talk with your advisor or the department you wish to join regarding how classes you have already taken will count toward their requirements. If you decide to change Engineering tracks/majors, you should fill out this form.
Engineering course override request
Overrides will be provided over email. Advising will also be available via email or Zoom. Please Note: an override will not enable you to enroll in the course via SPIRE. The Department will enroll you in the course. Visit the Course Override Request page for additional instructions.
Requirements for the engineering major
(for students matriculating/ entering in 2021 or earlier)
Please contact the Office of Student Affairs at coeadvising [at] umass [dot] edu with questions or concerns.
Grade of C or better in:
- English Writing 112
- Math 131
- Math 132
- Engin 100, 110, 111, 112, 113, or 114
- Physics 151
- Chem 111* or Physics 152
- Second semester Engineering Introductory Course satisfying Major Requirement by discipline:
- Biomedical: ECE 122, CMPSCI 119, or CMPSCI 121 (now called CICS 110)
- Chemical: Chem-Eng 120
- Civil: CE-Engin 121
- Electrical and Computer: ECE 122 (students entering UMass fall 2016 or later) or CMPSCI 121 (students entering UMass before fall 2016)
- Mechanical and Industrial: M&I-Eng 124 (or CMPSCI 121 (now called CICS 110) or ECE 122 or CMPSCI 119)
- Both cumulative, and most recent semester (Fall or Spring term), GPA of 2.0 or above
*Chem 111 may be satisfied by taking the Honors equivalent: Chem 121H
- C- or lower is not sufficient to satisfy the requirement**
- Intro to Engineering courses (100, 110, 111, 112, 113, and 114) are interchangeable for admission to majors. For example, if a student takes Engin 110 (Intro to Chemical Engineering) and then decides to major in Civil Engineering, he/she does not need to take Engin 111.
- If you are still a PR-ENGIN student and should be moved into your BS program, please fill out the Change of Engineering Track form. If you have additional questions, please email Julia Hoke (jhoke [at] umass [dot] edu).
** For the Spring 2021 semester, if you elected P/F, underlying grades will be used to determine your eligibility to be promoted into your Engineering major. For the Spring 2021 semester only, a C- or better is acceptable in these required courses.
Changing out of Engineering to another major on campus
Students who wish to change their major should consult with the department they wish to join regarding major-specific requirements and processes. The department you wish to join is responsible for processing the change of major request. To see a summary of departmental/college majors, please visit the UMass Amherst Undergraduate Majors page.