PhD in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research
The PhD program in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research (IEOR) prepares students for research careers in industry, academia, and national laboratories. A dissertation presenting significant new information is the primary requirement of the degree.
A master's degree is NOT required to apply to the PhD program. Prospective students with a bachelor's degree in Industrial Engineering and Operations Research or a relevant field can apply directly to a PhD program via an MS or PhD path.
Other requirements for the PhD degree include:
- a minimum of 1 academic year in residency (defined as 1 continuous academic year of full-time graduate work at 9 credits per semester)
- Guidance Committee certification that the candidate is qualified to pursue a PhD
- successful completion of a preliminary comprehensive examination
- an approved dissertation proposal
- attendance of the weekly seminar
- completion of an approved course curriculum
- a PhD dissertation and a final oral examination
The MIE Department does not require students to demonstrate competency in a foreign language.
Direct questions to: miegraddepartment [at] umass [dot] edu (miegraddepartment[at]umass[dot]edu)