ABET Accreditation: Mechanical Engineering
The Bachelor of Science degree program in Mechanical Engineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET (www.abet.org).
Program Educational Objectives
The Mechanical Engineering Program has established the following objectives. Graduates are expected to be able to attain these profession objectives within a few years following graduation:
- Think critically, creatively and rigorously and employ engineering principles, methods and tools to identify and solve important problems in industry, business, government and academia.
- Communicate effectively and function cooperatively, including in interdisciplinary professional contexts.
- Approach professional practice responsibly and ethically and with an awareness of business, environmental, safety, risk management, cultural, societal and global concerns.
- Demonstrate professional leadership.
- Employ their engineering education as a foundation for advanced study, lifelong learning and career development in engineering, management and other professional fields.
Students who graduate with a BS degree in Mechanical Engineering will have:
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Student Enrollment & Graduation Data
- 562 students were enrolled in the Mechanical Engineering BS degree program in Fall 2022
- 147 students graduated with BS degrees in Mechanical Engineering in the 2021-2022 academic year
The most up-to-date Factsheets and Data Tables can be found on the University Analytics and Institutional Research website.