The primary mission of the Manufacturing Engineering (MfE) program is to develop the next generation of engineers with the skills necessary to lead the digital transformation of manufacturing to industry 4.0 and provide the education for them to become leaders of industry. The program seeks to recruit high-caliber students with backgrounds in mechanical and industrial engineering, engineering management, and other related disciplines.
Graduates of the program will have proficiency in:
- Materials and manufacturing processes: Design manufacturing processes that result in products that meet specific material and other requirements
- Process, assembly, and product engineering: Design products and the equipment, tooling, and environment necessary for their manufacture
- Competitiveness: Create competitive advantage through planning, strategy, quality, and control
- Systems design: Analyze, synthesize, and control manufacturing operations using statistical methods
- Laboratory or facility experience: Measure manufacturing process variables and develop technical inferences about the process