Resources for faculty and students to locate funding for their research.
The Office of Research and Engagement proudly supports ongoing scientific and academic research and is committed to supporting faculty in their search for sponsors who will fund research and related activities.
The links below list internal and external sources for funding to help you get started with your search for funds.
On-Campus Funding Sources
- Internal funding opportunities are available through the UMass President's Office, UMass Medical School, Research Experience for Undergraduates program, and various research areas.
- The University of Massachusetts Amherst Office of Research Development (ORD), under the Vice Chancellor for Research and Engagement, administers the Faculty Research Grant (FRG) and Healey Endowment Grant (HEG) programs. This internal grant program exists to promote scholarly research and creative activities by pre-tenure members of the university faculty. Faculty Research Grant & Healey Endowment Grant.
Off-Campus Funding Sources
- Limited Submission Awards and Grants:
- The ORD makes every attempt to identify limited submissions funding opportunities and provide supporting information to the university community in a timely manner.
- Funding for New and Early-Career Faculty:
- This list includes research funding opportunities targeted for new and early-career faculty members.
- Funding for Mid-Career Faculty:
- NEW! This list includes research funding opportunities targeted for mid-career faculty in pursuit of new directions or seeking to revitalize research after a gap in productivity.
- Grant Forward/IRIS – Illinois Research Information Service (link is external):
- Grant Forward is an improved version of the University of Illinois IRIS grant search service. The new platform features enhanced search and user account interfaces as well as new tools to help institutions annotate and disseminate grant information. It features more than 10,000 research funding opportunities from U.S. federal agencies and private foundations. It includes in-depth and up-to-date indexing and abstracting of critical grant information; subject search access; limited submissions management; customizable alerts service; and an expertise profile service, private foundation sources, and research fellowships.
- Foundation Directory Online:
- The newest tool to help streamline your foundation fundraising process.