Western Massachusetts Health Equity Network
About the Western Massachusetts Health Equity Network
The Western Massachusetts Health Equity Network seeks regional strategies and opportunities to create conditions in which communities are able to attain the highest level of health for all residents. To eliminate preventable inequities our work areas include:
- POLICY: Create a regional policy voice for Western Massachusetts cities and towns
- RACIAL JUSTICE: Make racial justice a named priority in the Network’s activities
- MEANINGFUL DATA COLLECTION: Support collection and sharing of meaningful data that emphasizes the voices of often marginalized communities
- CROSS-SECTOR COLLABORATION: Build on cross-sector collaborations to include planners, funders, public health, hospitals and health care, and community development corporations
What is health equity? Achieving health equity requires valuing everyone equally with focused and ongoing societal efforts to address avoidable inequalities, historical and contemporary injustices, and the elimination of health and health care disparities. (Healthy People 2020, Health.gov)
“Eliminate health disparities, achieve health equity, and attain health literacy to improve the health and well-being of all.”(Healthy People, 2030)
See the big picture of health equity.
Focus in on personal stories from our communities.
Join the conversation.
What becomes possible when we ask:
- What would a world without racism look like?
- What would it be like if quality healthcare were accessible to all?
- How can we embrace and support wellbeing in all its manifestations?
- What could healthy communities look like…and accomplish?
These are some of the questions we continuously ask ourselves in our work at the Western Massachusetts Health Equity Network. We have also explored this vision at three biannual summits that, since 2014, have brought together people from throughout our region who care about and are working for racial justice, policy change, and health for all, in all its many aspects. In 2022, instead of one large gathering, we developed and screened MOSAIC, our locally produced film examining racism and health in western Massachusetts, and featured our own leaders of color including the WOCHEC, OCC, MBridge, and Estoy a Aqui. The film served as a centerpiece for meaningful discussions and action on health equity across Western Massachusetts. MOSAIC amplifies the voices of people working within and for our communities of color toward equity, justice, and representation in all aspects of life—including healthcare and community health.
Visit the MOSAIC film website, request a link to the film, check out the photos of the project from start to finish and more!