Requirements, deadlines, formatting and electronic submission information, and other information essential to completing your master’s or doctoral degree.
The University confers degrees three times a year: February, May and September. Submission deadlines for the requirements below are published in the Graduate School's Academic Calendar. Please note that your Degree Eligibility Form must be submitted to your academic department for review at least two weeks prior to the final degree deadline.
Students must satisfy all academic requirements and resolve all outstanding university obligations including any outstanding fees and all holds that prevent graduation within 6 weeks from the official degree date.
Deadlines are absolute. No exceptions will be made. All online submissions, forms, and fees are required to be submitted before the deadline date.
The annual university Commencement ceremony takes place at the end of the spring semester (the exact date is published in the University Calendar and in the Academic Calendar).
- Master's degree candidates may attend Commencement if they have submitted the Degree Eligibility Form by the April deadline, completed thesis and program examination requirements, and anticipate completing all courses by the end of the spring semester.
- Doctoral candidates must have completed all degree requirements by the April deadline to participate in the ceremony.
Regulatory compliance requires the University to report graduates to the National Student Clearinghouse no later than 6 weeks from the official degree conferral date. The Graduate Student Service Center staff have 6 weeks from the official degree date to clear all students for graduation. Throughout this time, diplomas will bemailed from our diploma vendor. A general guideline for this mailing is:
If your graduation date is:
- February, your diploma will be mailed no later than April.
- May, your diploma will be mailed no later than August.
- September, your diploma will be mailed no later than November.
Name on Diploma
Diplomas are printed using the diploma name listed in SPIRE. You can view and update your diploma name from your Student Center in SPIRE, select Academics Tile > Graduation > Diploma preferences. If you no longer have access to SPIRE, send a written letter which includes your name, student id or social security number, date of graduation, the name you want printed on your diploma, and your signature to the address listed below. We will not change the name on your diploma without written authorization from you.
Address Diploma is Sent To
Diplomas are mailed to the diploma address we have listed for you. You can view and update this address from your Student Center in SPIRE, select Academics Tile > Graduation > Diploma preferences. For help with updating your diploma address, visit View/Update Your Graduation Data. We will not send your diploma to an address other than your diploma address without written authorization from you.
To order a replacement diploma complete this online form through our diploma vendor.
Replacement diplomas are available at the cost of $35.00 with standard shipping included. Expedited shipping options are available at an additional cost.
Please Note: Replacement diplomas can take 4-6 weeks to arrive.
For Undergraduate Replacement Diplomas, please visit the University Registrar's website.
Certified Electronic Diplomas and Certificates
University of Massachusetts offers Certified Electronic Diplomas and Certificates (CeDiploma/CeCertificate) to the UMass graduates of February 2018 and forward in addition to paper diplomas!
Watch an Overview video to learn more!
Order your CeDiploma from your Student Center in SPIRE, select Academics Tile > Graduation > Electronic Diploma Request.
There is a $10.95 charge for this service.
- More than a paper credential
- An official, secure and verifiable PDF version of your accomplishment!
- Different from a transcript
- Unlimited sharing with family, friends, employers and social media.
- Proof of education with only the important details.
- Simple for employers to read and understand.
- Better than an eDiploma
- Enhances your resume
- Expedite the verification process by providing your CeDiD and validation URL on your resume.