Non-Degree Students

Enhance your current skillset at work, test out a new career direction, or explore a personal interest!  If you have a bachelor's degree from an accredited, four-year institution, then you may be eligible to take graduate-level courses as a non-degree student.

On-line Courses through University Without Walls

How to Enroll

Enrollment information is available through University Without Walls.

On-Campus Courses in Fall and Spring

Submit the Non-Degree Graduate Student Application for On-Campus Courses - instructions and PDF

Fall 2021: What You Need to Know

How to Submit Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination to UMass

How to Register

Once you have applied, you will then receive an email with a Net ID and password to register for your classes using SPIRE, our online student information system. Use SPIRE’s "Search Classes/Catalog” function to access course information.

If you have any issues with SPIRE, please contact the IT Help Center at (413) 545-9400 or for assistance.

When to Register

For non-degree students taking on-campus university courses in the fall and spring semesters, registration begins one week before classes start. Please consult the Academic Calendar for the most up-to-date information.  If you are unable to self-register for a graduate-level course contact the academic department to determine if you are eligible. 

Applying Courses Toward a Degree

Course credits earned as a non-degree graduate student do not accumulate toward a graduate degree at this university. However, if you are later admitted to a graduate degree program, a maximum of six (6) graduate credits earned as a non-degree student may be applied to that program. This requires a favorable recommendation by the appropriate Graduate Program Director and approval by the Dean of the Graduate School.

Identification Card

Non-degree students are eligible for a UMass identification card, called the UCard, that is also used as your library card. You may obtain your ID card from the UCard Office.