Public Health Sciences Academic Advising
Academic advising for the public health sciences major.
The undergraduate degree program in Public Health Sciences provides a variety of advising and academic resources for its students. Both our staff advisors and peer advisors are here to help address your academic questions and concerns so that you can make the most of your UMass Amherst education.
Interim Undergraduate Program Director
Email: mpattonlopez [at] umass [dot] edu
Chief Undergraduate Advisor
103 Arnold House
Email: bwilliams [at] umass [dot] edu
119 Arnold House
Email: jhunsicker [at] umass [dot] edu
Apply here to be a PHS Peer Advisor for the Fall 2023- Spring 2024 cohort! Deadline to Apply: March 20th at 12PM!
We are a group of experienced and involved students on campus with a twofold objective: to support you in your academic needs and promote the understanding of public health. Although we will not tell you which classes to take or avoid, we will offer insight to help you make the best, informed decision about your own academic career.
Peer Advisors can answer questions about:
- Applying to the Public Health major
- Understanding the Public Health Sciences major and the components of the curriculum
- Planning balanced academic schedules
- Discovering your focus area
- Using and reading your academic requirements report (ARR)
- Obtaining and filling out focus area and course exception forms
- Exploring internships, study abroad (domestic and international) programs, volunteering, and Five College opportunities
- Navigating through university resources including counseling, tutoring, and other, personal and academic support services.
- Completing Public Health Sciences and university requirements
Spring 2023 Peer Advising Schedule
(No Appointments Necessary, February 6 – May 17)
Monday: 9:00 a.m. - 3:45 p.m., and 4:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., and 2:15 - 5:00 p.m.
Thursday: 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m., and 2:30 - 3:45 p.m.
Office: 102 Arnold House
E-mail: peerad [at] umass [dot] edu
During the Spring '23 semester, in accordance with university regulations, peer advisors will be offering in-person drop-in advising hours. If you would prefer virtual advising, please email peerad [at] umass [dot] edu to schedule an appointment. Please note: Students will not be accepted into the Zoom meeting if they are not logged into their UMass account.