Kinesiology Academic Advising
Academic advising for the kinesiology major.
The undergraduate degree program in kinesiology provides a variety of advising and academic resources for its students. Both staff and peer advisors are here to help address academic questions and concerns so students can make the most of their UMass Amherst education.
Undergraduate Program Advisor
Office: 146 Totman
Email: leclerc [at] umass [dot] edu
Undergraduate Program Director
Office: 160 Totman
Email: efrechet [at] kin [dot] umass [dot] edu
Reasons to see the Academic Advisor:
- Requires signature:
- Request for credit overload
- Prior approval for study abroad classes
- Declaring dual degree
- Evaluating transfer credits for kinesiology elective credits
- Obtaining graduation clearance
- Questions about academic status, including probation and re-entry to the kinesiology major
- Questions about academic dishonesty
- Making a plan for after graduation, including graduate school applications
- Letters of recommendation
- Continuation policy questions
and Declaring the kinesiology major!
All current UMass students wishing to Declare the Kinesiology major must attend a "Declaring the Major Meeting".
Fall 2023 Declaring the KIN major meeting dates:
- Thurs., Sept. 7, 5:30 p.m., Totman, Room 153
- Wed., Nov. 1, 5:00 p.m., Totman, Room 153
- Tues., Dec. 5, 5:30 p.m., Totman, Room 153
Steps to Advising:
Step 1: Students should first try to see a Peer Advisor in Totman 145. Students do not need to schedule an appointment for Peer Advising. More information can be found in the Peer Advising Drop-In Center section below.
Step 2: Students can also make an appointment with the Academic Advisor via the "Book an Appointment" link under the Undergraduate Academic Advisor section below. If the appointment link does not work, please email Leclerc at leclerc [at] umass [dot] edu.
Step 3: If a student has an emergency they should email the Undergraduate Program Director, Eliza Frechette, at efrechet [at] kin [dot] umass [dot] edu. Her office is 160 Totman. For Fall 2022 (starting 9/13), students can also drop in to GPD Office Hours on Tuesdays 1:15 - 2:00 p.m. in Room 160.
We are a group of experienced and involved students on campus with a twofold objective: to support you in your academic needs and promote the understanding of kinesiology. Although we will not tell you which classes to take or avoid, we will offer insight to help you make the best, informed decision about your own academic career.
Reasons to see a peer advisor:
- General Education (Gen Ed) classes
- Operating Spire and understanding your Academic Requirement Report (ARR)
- Adding/dropping classes on Spire
- How to secure a TA position
- How to secure an independent study
- Graduate school prerequisites
- Double major and dual degree questions
- Summer/winter classes
- Extracurricular activities
- Resources for internships and/or shadowing experiences
- Kinesiology electives
- How to study abroad
Fall 2023 Peer Advising Schedule (No Appointments Necessary)
Peer Advising Office is located in 145 Totman.
Monday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
No appointment necessary. Just drop in!