BS in Kinesiology
Put your motivation into motion with a BS in kinesiology.
Kinesiology focuses on understanding human movement and the role of physical activity and exercise in health and disease. Kinesiologists use tools from behavioral medicine, molecular biology, neuroscience, engineering, medicine, and computer science to solve problems in diverse settings, from labs to hospitals, wellness centers, and field environments.
UMass Amherst’s BS in kinesiology builds upon a foundation of basic science in biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, and statistics. The department learning objectives for students include being able to:
- Explain the scientific foundations of human movement including: physiology, biomechanics, motor control, behavior, and the relevance of physical activity to human health
- Demonstrate the knowledge and practical skills necessary to work in kinesiology and related fields
- Effectively Analyze and interpret numerical and statistical information relevant to kinesiology
- Successfully communicate scientific information about kinesiology to a diverse population
- Address inequity and improve inclusion in research and practice in kinesiology and related fields