Late Withdrawal Petition
This petition is used to withdraw from a class after mid semester.
Following add/drop and until the mid semester date, you can withdraw from any course with a "W" online in SPIRE. A "W" will appear on your transcript. Follow these instructions.
After the mid-semester date, students must submit a Late Withdrawal Petition in order to appeal to withdraw from a course.
- There must be extenuating and compelling circumstances to justify your request, e.g. illness, family emergency, etc.
- Students must provide verification of circumstances.
- Late withdrawal petitions and documentation should be submitted to CNS before the end of the semester.
- Approvals for late withdrawals after the class is complete and graded will be extremely rare and a rationale for the request after the course has ended will be required.
- Late withdrawals will not be considered for classes taken more than 1 year in the past.
- Medical withdrawals for the semester are handled by University Health Services.
If a serious circumstance initially arises at the very end of the semester, then seeking an INC grade(s) may be appropriate. Consult your professor, major advisor, and CNS advising about this option. Be aware that INC grades count as F’s in the GPA until resolved. Therefore, INC grades should be completed as soon as feasible and no later than the end of the following semester.
The CNS Deans will review all requests for late withdrawals and will notify the student of the final decision by email.