Flexible and Online Learning
CNS offers flexible in-person and fully online courses and programs on both the Amherst and Mount Ida campuses.
- Interested in learning how to fly a drone and take aerial imagery safely and professionally? UMass Amherst now offers a new nine-credit graduate certificate in unoccupied aerial systems (UAS) piloting. This hybrid program is a blend of online learning and hands-on piloting experience offered at both the UMass Amherst and Mt. Ida campuses.
Fully Online Undergraduate Degrees and Certificates:
- In addition to its on-campus program, sustainable food and farming offers an online associate in science degree (AS), an online bachelor of science degree (BS), and a 15-credit online certificate.
- For degree completion students, the UWW interdisciplinary studies areas of study provide two CNS-focused options: applied psychology and sustainability studies.
- The 15-credit arboriculture and urban forestry undergraduate certificate program is designed as a gateway for students into the arboriculture and urban forestry fields.
Fully Online Graduate Degrees and Certificates:
- The offshore wind professional certificate is geared toward any professionals engaging in the offshore wind industry, as well as graduate students in related fields.
- For advanced training as a soil scientist, students can complete the soil science certificate or the master of science in plant and soil sciences.
- The sustainable building construction certificate program is designed for professionals seeking an opportunity to pursue in-depth studies in sustainability in building design and construction.
- In partnership with the College of Education, the science education online (SEO) master of education degree prepares Massachusetts teachers for professional licensure in elementary education or middle school general science.
Mount Ida Campus:
- At our Mount Ida campus in Newton, CNS offers our undergraduate veterinary technology program, a master of science in statistics, a master of science in geographic information science and technology, and sustainable building construction courses and programs
- The MS in statistics at the Mount Ida Campus is flexible with all classes offered both in-person and online.
- In addition to in-person offerings on the Amherst campus, the master of science in geographic information science and technology (GIST) offers synchronous and asynchronous flexible learning options.
Pre-College Summer Programs:
- Join CNS during the summer for on-campus and online pre-college programs and research intensive experiences.