Hours: M-F 8:30-5 PM ET
Become the kind of environmentally focused leader the world needs in sectors from agriculture to life sciences to transportation by finishing your bachelor’s degree in Interdisciplinary Studies online with a focus in sustainability.
Through the UWW Degree Completion Program you can tailor your degree with online classes in food and farming, sustainable community, business and entrepreneurship, economics, public health, social justice, and more.
- You’re in the Driver’s Seat: Design your own degree concentration through your perfect mix of 100% online courses, and optional blended, or on-campus offerings to fit your busy life. Plus, most of our courses are asynchronous, meaning you can complete them on your schedule.
- Accelerate Your Degree: Bring in or earn up to 105 credits for your prior coursework, prior learning, and life and work experience to accelerate your degree, saving you time and money.
- Cross Disciplinary Boundaries: Craft your individualized concentration to suit your goals and interests, from taking online courses in health to study the intersection of wellness and the environment, to focusing on online business courses to manage a farm or run your own green business.
Your Future in Sustainability
With an Interdisciplinary Studies degree focused in sustainability, you can carve out your niche in the growing field of sustainable food and farming, start a sustainable business, or use your new knowledge to launch sustainability initiatives in areas from healthcare to manufacturing.
- $71,160: Median annual wage for farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural managers
- $73,570: Median annual wage for sustainability specialists.
- $67,150: Median annual wage for social and community service managers.
Flexible, Cross-Disciplinary Courses
You will study with top-notch instructors from the UMass Stockbridge School of Agriculture, the UMass Isenberg School of Management, the UMass School of Public Health and Health Sciences, and the departments of Political Science, Economics, Communication, Anthropology, Geoscience, and more.
To give you an idea of the types of online sustainability and related courses that you could choose from, here is a sampling offered over the past few years.
|STOCKSCH||100||Botany for Gardeners|
|STOCKSCH||106||Soil Science and Management|
|STOCKSCH||119||Designing a Backyard Homestead|
|STOCKSCH||120||Organic Farming and Gardening|
|STOCKSCH||184||Raising Dairy Goats Sustainably|
|STOCKSCH||186||Introduction to Permaculture|
|STOCKSCH||190M||Intro Mushroom Cultivation|
|STOCKSCH||197L||Introduction to Food and Agricultural Law|
|STOCKSCH||209||Holistic Fruit Production|
|STOCKSCH||266||Farm Management, Planning & Marketing|
|STOCKSCH||268||Small Farm Husbandry: Cows, Sheep & Goats for Meat Production|
|STOCKSCH||269||Small Farm Husbandry: Pigs & Poultry|
|STOCKSCH||280||Herbs, Spices & Medicinal Plants|
|STOCKSCH||281||Topics in Herbalism I|
|STOCKSCH||288||Land Use Policies & Sustainable Farming|
|STOCKSCH||290B||Cultivation of Edible Mushrooms|
|STOCKSCH||290M||Integrated Pest Management|
|STOCKSCH||290S||Forest Incomes for the Small Farm|
|STOCKSCH||297AL||Agricultural Leadership & Community Education|
|STOCKSCH||320||Organic Vegetable Production|
|STOCKSCH||322||Postharvest Handling of Fruits and Vegetables - From Farm to Table|
|STOCKSCH||354||Non-Profit Management of Community Food Systems|
|STOCKSCH||355||Community Food Systems|
|STOCKSCH||356||Food Justice and Policy|
|STOCKSCH||379||Agricultural Systems Thinking|
|STOCKSCH||382||Professional Development in Sustainable Food and Farming|
|STOCKSCH||386||Sustainable Site Design & Planning|
|STOCKSCH||387||Global Food Systems|
|STOCKSCH||397FJ||Social Permaculture for Food Justice|
|STOCKSCH||397PB||Pollinator Bio and Habitat|
|STOCKSCH||510||Management and Ecology of Plant Diseases|
|SUSTCOMM||205||Dynamics of Human Habitation|
|SUSTCOMM||335||Plants In Landscape|
|SUSTCOMM||533||Urban Greening Theory & Practice|
|BCT||414||Sustainable Building and LEED Certification|
|MANAGMNT||366||Foundations of Sustainable Enterprise|
|MARKETNG||491SM||Marketing Sustainable Business|
|ECON||308||Political Economy of the Environment|
|CE-ENG||597WT||Modeling Wind Turbines with the FAST Code|
|M&I-ENG||573||Engineering Windpower Systems|
|GEOGRAPH||110||Global Environment Change|
|GEOLOGY||103||Introduction to Oceanography|
|NRC||232||Principles of Arboriculture|
|POLISCI||397ES||Environmental and Sustainability Politics|
|PUBHLTH||203||Introduction to Environmental Health Sciences|
|EHS||565||Environmental Health Practices|
|EHS||567||Environmental Compliance Regulations|