UMass Transit operates PVTA buses, Accessible Van Service vans, Field Trip vehicles, and Meet and Greet sedans. We're committed to providing safe, efficient, and sustainable mobility for over 18,000 riders daily.
Can't find your bus?
- Bus locations
We are now hiring for training during the fall semester!
Bus Drivers start at $21.00 per hour!
On top of $21/hr base pay, UMTS offers an Eve Pay Differential (additional $1/hr) for all late-night bus driving shifts. After driving for a semester, you'll become eligible for promotion to other student positions (dispatcher, trainer, field trip driver, etc) which offer additional pay.
Want to know more? See if your questions are answered in our Hiring/Training FAQs!
Safety is our first priority, and it starts with training! All of our training is conducted one-on-one. You'll work with our experienced and dedicated student training staff to:
- Get your Commercial Driver's License.
- Learn how to safely and comfortably operate our buses.
- Learn how to confidently and reliably drive our routes.
We'll pay you to train and cover all your licensing fees. It's a challenging program, but we'll work with you every step of the way!
(Trainees earn $16.00 per hour and move to $21.00 after completing training.)
To start, we're one of the highest paying jobs on campus!
We also offer:
- Pay raises every semester
- Promotional positions that provide real-world supervisory and management experience
- Excellent resume material; start your post-college career with strong work experience
- Flexible schedules that work with your classes!
UMass Transit is a friendly, fun, and supportive place to work. The work is rewarding, the flexibility is ideal, and the opportunities for advancement can help you make the most of your time here! Most importantly, we know school is your priority and we're ready to work with your busy schedule!
Must be a UMass student with at least 6 credits per semester and with 3 or more semesters remaining.
Supervisory, Management, & Technical Experience
We pride ourselves in being a student-run organization! Everyone starts as a bus driver, but you can quickly become eligible for promotion to a variety of student positions:
- Driver Supervision
- Safety and Training
- Recruitment and Hiring
- Field Trip
- Accessible Van Service
- Planning and Analysis
- Software Development
- Information Technology
Whatever your career interests, you'll gain valuable real-world experience for your resume!
Health and Safety Information
- Masks are optional for passengers and drivers; we encourage everyone to respect the choices that individuals will make about their own masking.
- We are committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our workforce, our riders, and our community. See our updated COVID response information here.