UMass Transit operates PVTA buses, Special Transportation vans, Field Trip vehicles, and Meet and Greet sedans. We're committed to providing safe, efficient, and sustainable mobility for over 18,000 riders daily.
- All passengers are REQUIRED to wear a nose & mouth covering. Don't ride if symptomatic or quarantined or if exposed to anyone who tested positive.
- Bus service on most routes has been reduced until further notice due to COVID-19. For details, see the calendar and schedules.
- Read about extra steps taken to maintain safety.
Can't find your bus?
- Bus locations
We are now hiring for our Summer training class! Don't live in the area? We'll provide food and housing! We have three planned summer sessions:
- June 7 - July 2
- July 12 - July 30
- August 2 - August 27
(The dates are flexible; we're ready to accomodate your summer schedule!)
Safety is our first priority, and it starts with training! All of our training is conducted one-on-one. You'll work with our experienced and dedicated student training staff to:
- Get your Commercial Driver's License.
- Learn how to safely and comfortably operate our buses.
- Learn how to confidently and reliably drive our routes.
We'll pay you to train and cover all your licensing fees. It's a challenging program, but we'll work with you every step of the way!
Train during the summer to have a job for the semester!
To start, we're one of the highest paying jobs on campus!
Bus Drivers start at $17.00 per hour!
We also offer:
- Pay raises every semester
- Promotional positions that provide real-world supervisory and management experience
- Excellent resume material; start your post-college career with strong work experience
- Flexible schedules that work with your classes!
UMass Transit is a friendly, fun, and supportive place to work. The work is rewarding, the flexibility is ideal, and the opportunities for advancement can help you make the most of your time here! Most importantly, we know school is your priority and we're ready to work with your busy schedule!
(Trainees earn $13.50 per hour and move to $17.00 after completing training.)
Must be a UMass student with at least 6 credits per semester and with 3 or more semesters remaining.
Supervisory, Management, & Technical Experience
We pride ourselves in being a student-run organization! Everyone starts as a bus driver, but you can quicky become eligible for promotion to a variety of student positions:
- Driver Supervision
- Safety and Training
- Recruitment and Hiring
- Field Trip
- Special Transportation
- Planning and Analysis
- Software Development
- Information Technology
Whatever your career interests, you'll gain valuable real-world experience for your resume!
COVID Precautions and Procedures
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have established safety and disinfecting protocols and procedures in conformance with UMass EH&S, the Pioneer Valley Transit Authority, and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
We provide ample personal protective equipment (masks, gloves, sanitizer, etc.) for all employees, practice and emphasize social distancing, and regularly clean and sanitize our facility and equipment.
We are committed to prioritizing the health and safety of our workforce, our riders, and our community.