Email: iganguli [at] econs [dot] umass [dot] edu
Phone: (413) 545-6230
411-417 N Pleasant St
Amherst, MA 01003
- Associate Professor (with tenure), Dept. of Economics, University of Massachusetts Amherst, 2019 - present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, University of Massachusetts Amherst, 2015 - present
- Associate Director, Computational Social Science Institute (CSSI), University of Massachusetts Amherst, 2018 – present
- Affiliated Researcher, SITE, Stockholm School of Economics, 2015 - present
- Fellow, Institute for Quantitative Social Sciences (IQSS), Harvard University, 2012 – present
- Fellow, Center for International Development (CID), Harvard University, 2011 – present
- Assistant Professor, SITE, Stockholm School of Economics, 2012-2014
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard Business School-Harvard Medical School Innovation Lab, 2011-2012
- Labor economics, Economics of Science & Innovation, Development Economics, Economic History.
- Recent research has focused on migration of high-skill workers, gender differences in the labor market, social entrepreneurship and scientific collaboration.
- Regional expertise on Russia, Ukraine and other countries of the former Soviet Union.
- Economics 341: Labor Economics
- Economics 452: Econometrics
- Economics 397ST: Economics of Science, Technology and Innovation
- Economics 781: Graduate Labor Economics
Honors and Awards:
- Institute for Social Science Research (ISSR) Scholar, University of Massachusetts Amherst, 2015-2016
- W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research Dissertation Award, Honorable Mention, 2011
- Allyn A. Young Teaching Prize for excellence in teaching Principles of Economics, Harvard University (2009)
- U.S. Fulbright Scholar, Ukraine (2004)
- Russian National Prize in Applied Economics, 2018
- Best Paper Award, 14th Annual Social Entrepreneurship Conference, 2017
- Association for Comparative Economic Studies (ACES) Executive Committee, 2017-present
- NBER Innovation Policy Group Grant (with Jeffrey Lin), 2016-2017
- EPoD-HRDF Saudi Arabia Labor Market Research Pilot Grant (with Basit Zafar), Harvard Kennedy School, 2016-2017
- W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research Early Career Research Award, 2016-2017
- NESTA Innovation Growth Lab Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Growth Experiments Research Grant (with Christian Catalini), 2014-2016
- SEFORIS Social Entrepreneurship Research Program, European Commission (with Chloé Le Coq), 2014-2016
- Social Science Research Council (SSRC) Eurasia Program Postdoctoral Fellowship (US State Department, Title VIII), 2012-2014
- American Economic Association
- Association for Comparative Economic Studies
- "Saving Soviet Science: The Impact of Grants When Government R&D Funding Disappears", American Economic Journal: Applied Economics (2017).
- "A Field Experiment on Search Costs and the Formation of Scientific Collaborations" (with Kevin Boudreau, Tom Brady, Patrick Gaulé, Eva Guinan, Tony Hollenberg and Karim Lakhani), Review of Economics and Statistics (2017).
- "It’s Good to Be First: Order Bias in Reading and Citing NBER Working Papers" (with Daniel Feenberg, Patrick Gaulé and Jonathan Gruber), Review of Economics and Statistics (2017).
- "The Mobility of Elite Life Scientists: Professional and Personal Determinants" (with Pierre Azoulay and Joshua Graff Zivin), Research Policy (2017).
- "Immigration & Ideas: What Did Russian Scientists 'Bring' to the US?" The Journal of Labor Economics, Vol. 33, No. S1, pp. S257-S288 (Part 2, July 2015).
- "Why and Wherefore of Increased Scientific Collaboration" (with Richard Freeman and Raviv Murciano-Goroff), in Adam Jaffe and Benjamin Jones (eds), The Changing Frontier: Rethinking Science and Innovation Policy, National Bureau of Economic Research & University of Chicago Press (2015).
- "Who Leaves and Who Stays? Evidence on Immigrant Selection from the Collapse of Soviet Science", in Aldo Geuna (ed), Global Mobility of Research Scientists: The Economics of Who Goes Where and Why, Elsevier (2015).
- "Scientific Brain Drain and Human Capital Formation After the End of the Soviet Union. International Migration, 52: 95–110 (2014).
- "Closing The Gender Gap In Education: What Is The State Of Gaps In Labour Force Participation For Women, Wives And Mothers?" (with Ricardo Hausmann and Martina Viarengo), International Labour Review 153: 173–207 (2014).
- "Marriage, Education and Assortative Mating in Latin America" (with Ricardo Hausmann and Martina Viarengo), Applied Economics Letters 21(12), 806-811 (2014).
- "Russian-American Scientific Collaboration" in Y.P. Tretyakov (ed), Russian-Аmerican Links: Leaps Forward and Backward in Academic Cooperation. St. Petersburg, Russia: Nestor-Historia, pp. 120-135 (2012).
- "The Dynamics of the Gender Gap: How do Countries Rank in Terms of Making Marriage and Motherhood Compatible with Work?" (with Ricardo Hausmann and Martina Viarengo) in Ricardo Hausmann, Laura D. Tyson, Saadia Zahidi (eds), The Global Gender Gap Report 2009. Geneva: The World Economic Forum (2009).
- "Institutions, Markets and Men's and Women's Wage Inequality: Evidence from Ukraine" (with Katherine Terrell), Journal of Comparative Economics, 34(2): 200-227 (2006).