Terms and Conditions of Employment
Terms and Conditions of Employment of Graduate Fellowships and Assistantships at the University of Massachusetts Amherst
By signing this document, I accept the terms of employment stated below, and to the rules and regulations governing Graduate Assistants of the University as promulgated from time to time by the Board of Trustees under the provisions of Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 75 and Chapter 15A, Section 10 as amended. I understand that this document will remain on file and will be applicable to any and all Graduate Fellowship and/or Assistantship appointments I may receive while I am enrolled at the University.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
- All Appointments as Graduate Assistants at the University of Massachusetts Amherst are contingent upon availability of funds.
- All Graduate Assistants at the University of Massachusetts Amherst are employed pursuant to and subject to the policies, rules, and regulations adopted by the Board of Trustees of the University, as amended, revised, or repealed from time to time by the Trustees,under the provision of Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 75 and Chapter 15A, Section 10 as amended.
- Payment for services rendered under this appointment will be made on a weekly or bi- weekly basis.
- The Supervisor will give the appointee a specific written Description of Responsibilities assigned to the appointee, which may be amended from time to time as required to promote the objectives of the University.
- This appointment may be terminated upon the recommendation by the Supervisor’s Dean, if:
a) the appointee does not remain in good academic standing as defined by the appointee's department, or
b) the appointee does not perform their assigned duties satisfactorily, or
c) the appointee leaves the Department or Program of their Supervisor.This appointment may also be terminated by the Graduate Dean if the appointee fails to enroll as a graduate student by the end of the “Add-Drop” period.
- During the term of this appointment, the appointee may only receive compensation in addition to that specified herein from the University when written approval is obtained from their Supervisor, the Supervisor’s Dean, and the Dean of the Graduate School.
- The appointment is not complete until signed by the Dean of the Graduate School.
- Where Graduate Assistants receive tuition waivers, such waivers might reduce eligibility for financial aid, which could result in an adjustment to, or cancellation of such aid, based on rules and regulations of Financial Aid Services.
- This appointment will be terminated for College Work-Study appointees who are not enrolled for at least six (6) credits throughout the term of this appointment.
- All graduate student employees who are appointed as TAs, TOs, RAs, PAs, ARDs, Interns, and Working Fellows, except those who are employed by the Chancellor’s Office or any of the Vice Chancellor’s offices, are covered by a collective bargaining agreement between GEO/Local 2322/UAW and the University which determines graduate student employees’ working conditions and benefits. This agreement requires that all suchTAs, TOs, RAs, PAs, ARDs, Interns, and Working Fellows must either join GEO/Local 2322/UAW and pay dues, or pay a service fee as a condition of employment (pursuant to the Rules and Regulations of the Massachusetts Labor Relations Commission, Section 17.05).