Checklist for Doctoral Degrees
- September 1, 2023 degree: August 31, 2023 (August 17, 2023 to department)
- February 1, 2024 degree: January 16, 2024 (January 2, 2024 to department)
- May 17, 2024 degree: April 1, 2024 (March 18, 2024 to department) - Degree Eligibility Form and unsigned signature pages are due April 1. Doctoral defenses can occur up until April 18, 2024.
- All signed doctoral signature pages are due to the Graduate School no later than April 18, 2024.
All doctoral candidates are required to submit the following materials by the deadline:
- Final Oral Examination completed - please note that the Graduate School must have the announcement of your final oral exam one month before the defense. See the Checklist for Doctoral Oral Examinations for details
- Doctoral Degree Eligibility Form must be completed and submitted to the academic department two weeks prior to the degree deadline to allow for departmental review. The student, department graduate program director, and department head/chairman must sign the Eligibility Form.
- Dissertation electronically filed with ScholarWorks@UMass Amherst - for further details about this process, please see the Degree Requirements section of the Handbook on our website
- Signature page – one signature page with original signatures must be submitted to the Graduate Student Service Center. An unsigned signature page should also be included after the copyright page in the electronic copy of your dissertation
- Survey of Earned Doctorates – this online survey must be completed and submitted by the deadline
- Copyright registration (optional) - register your copyright with the Library of Congress Copyright Office
Additional requirements to be met before being cleared for graduation:
- You must be an active student
- All requirements on the Checklist for Doctoral Oral Examinations must have been met before the Final Oral Exam is scheduled
- Results of your Final Oral Exam must be conveyed to the Graduate Student Service Center in a memo signed by your Graduate Program Director. The memo must include the date of the exam and the results.
- No holds can be on your record
- Bursar fees must be paid. Any outstanding Bursar fees must be paid directly to the Bursar
- Diploma Name and Home (Non-UMass) Email Address must be updated in SPIRE (Academics Tile > Graduation > Diploma preferences)
- Diploma address must be updated in SPIRE (Academics Tile > Graduation > Diploma preferences). Diplomas will be sent to the student's Diploma Address.
Graduate Student Service Center
170 Bartlett Building, Amherst, MA 01003
Phone: (413) 545-0722
Email: degreq [at] grad [dot] umass [dot] edu (subject: Graduation%20requirement%20question) (degreq[at]grad[dot]umass[dot]edu)