Apply to Accelerated Bachelor in Nursing
To be considered for admission, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident
- Hold a Bachelor's degree in a field other than nursing
- Completion of 6 prerequisite courses prior to the application deadline with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA of prerequisite grades and no course grade lower than a C:
The following prerequisites must have been completed within the past five years:
- Human Nutrition (3 credits)
- Medical Microbiology or General Microbiology (3 credits, no lab required)
The following prerequisites must have been completed within the past ten years:
- Anatomy and Physiology I with lab (4 credits)
- Anatomy and Physiology II with lab (4 credits)
- Statistics (3 credits)
- Human Growth and Development throughout the Lifespan (3 credits)
- All courses must be 3 or 4 semester hours. Courses taken as quarter credits will be multiplied by .67, those that don't equal the equivalent of at least 3 credits will not be considered as fulfilling the nursing pre-requisite requirement.
NOTE: NLN exams cannot be used to satisfy any prerequisite courses.
The following materials are required when applying to this program, some of which will be collected as part of the application.
- Application Fee (if applicable)
- Essay: Why have you chosen nursing? Include why you are an excellent candidate for our program and tell us how you have demonstrated a minimum of two College of Nursing values in your life choices thus far in your 500-word answer.
- Professional Reference
- Official Transcript(s): Submit official college transcripts from all colleges you have previously attended, regardless of whether credit is desired. UMass Amherst accepts electronic transcripts from official third parties (eScrip-Safe, Parchment, etc.) or directly from the Registrar's office of the issuing school. Student-submitted transcripts are not accepted. Transcripts can be sent to the Admissions Office, UMass Amherst, 350 Campus Center Way, Amherst, MA 01003-2902 or email to @email. Maximum transfer credit is 75 semester credits.
- English Language Proficiency Documentation: If English is not your first language, please review our English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- International Transcript(s), if applicable.
If you have attended a post-secondary college or university, official transcripts are required whether or not transfer credit is desired.
International Students: Please review our International Applicant's Guide.
|Summer (August)||January 8|
Admissions reviews are done on a rolling basis.
*The application fee is waived if you are active duty military or a U.S. veteran.
In order to be considered for admission, please make sure that all of the required application materials are received by February 1.
Applications are not considered complete and cannot be reviewed until we have received all required materials. Complete applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received.
What Happens After I Apply?
Following receipt of your application, you will be sent an email with further information. Within 5-6 business days, you will also receive credentials that will allow you to log into our student information system (SPIRE) where you will be able to check the status of your application and missing materials, if applicable.
NOTE: Application review will not take place until we have received all required materials in our office. It is essential for you to check the status of your application and remit any materials as quickly as possible. Decisions for all applicants are sent out by the College of Nursing by March 1 for this program.
HOLDS: Prior students are responsible for resolving any hold(s) on their UMass account. Applications received on accounts that have a hold which prevents enrollment will not be reviewed by admissions until resolved. To check for holds, log into SPIRE, on the right side of the screen on your student services center page you will see “holds”. To resolve, please contact the office which placed the hold. Once resolved, we can begin our review (if all required materials have also been received). For advising holds, please contact your department.
Please add the @umass.edu domain to your Safe Senders list so that important emails from UMass Amherst don't get caught in your spam filter. You can follow these instructions on how to add to your Safe Senders list for Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and a few others.