Click here for the Financial Aid Services home pageSchool Code
'Dollars from Cents' © Mark Aplet. Image from
Financial Aid Basics
Types of Aid
Applying for Aid
Receiving Aid
Frequently Asked Questions about Financial Aid
Summer Financial Aid
Forms and Publications
Students can find jobs here!
Helpful Links and Resources
Contact information and staff listing

Questions? We're here to help.

Undergraduate Aid
(413) 545-0801
Graduate Aid
(413) 545-0801

Continuing & Professional Education

Students in Continuing and Professional Education (CPE) must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for federal, state, or university resources.

View the 2014-2015 Financial Aid Guide for CPE Students


To be eligible for aid as a CPE student, you must be enrolled in a degree seeking program and carry a minimum of six degree credits. Students who are not eligible for financial aid because they are not in a degree granting program may be eligible for an alternative loan (see Types of Financial Aid, below).

Students in the following CPE programs are eligible for financial aid as determined by their credit total, need, and the information on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is due by May 1.

Bachelor to General Studies (BGS)
CE University Without Walls (UWW)
Para-professional Educator Licensure
On-Line Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
On-Line Bachelor of Science in Hospitality and Tourism Management (HTM)
RN to BS in Nursing

Students in the following programs are second bachelor’s degree candidates and are therefore only eligible for Federal Direct Loans as determined by their current loan aggregate, credit total, need and the information on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) . The FAFSA is due by May 1.

Second Bachelor degree in Nursing
Post-Baccalaureate Pre-clinical Program in Communication Disorders
Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Licensure Program*

*NOTE: Only students that are pursuing initial licensure programs are eligible for financial aid. Students who already hold a teaching license and are returning for an additional licensure or those who need additional coursework for renewal of their teaching license are not eligible for financial aid.

Determining Your Need

Financial Aid Services establishes student budgets for the purpose of determining financial aid eligibility. The budget includes both mandatory Continuing and Professional Education fees and other expenses. Visit the Bursar's Web site or consult the CPE catalogue for a listing and explanation of mandatory fees based on the number of credits you take. In addition, you should also factor in non-billed expenses such as off-campus room and board, books, personal expenses, and transportation needs. All of these expenses together are referred to as “Cost of Attendance,” and these help determine your financial need.

Types of Financial Aid Available

Federal Pell Grant
University Awards
Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Visit the Grants section for more information.

Federal Work-Study
Undergraduates: Visit the Work-Study section for details.

Graduate Students: Visit the Aid Options for Graduate Students section for more information.

Federal Perkins Loan
William D. Ford Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans
Alternative Loans

Visit the undergraduate loan and graduate loan sections for full details on these loans.

Important note regarding alternative loans
Students who are not eligible for financial aid because they are not in a degree granting program may be eligible for an alternative loan. Please research lenders offering these programs and review the specific requirements of each lender prior to applying for these loans.

Adjustments to Financial Aid

Financial aid awards may need to be adjusted for various reasons. These reasons may include:

Requests initiated by you: You may initiate a request to reduce the amount of the loan awarded by completing the reverse side of your award letter and returning it to Financial Aid Services. Please note that you have fourteen days from the date your Federal Direct Loan disbursement credits your UMass Amherst account to request an adjustment.

Additional Financial Aid: Financial Aid Services may adjust your award if you receive scholarships or loans that are not currently listed on your award letter. According to federal regulations, your total financial aid, including federal, state, university, and other sources, may not exceed the cost of attendance. In cases where your total financial aid exceeds your expenses, Financial Aid Services will adjust or reduce your awards.

Enrollment Status: CPE financial aid awards are initially based on six credits per term. If your credits fall below half-time enrollment (less than six credits per term), an adjustment to your financial aid may be required. Adjustments to financial aid occur after the UMass Amherst add/drop period each term.

Verification: UMass Amherst and the U.S. Department of Education select certain financial aid applications in a process called verification. If your application is selected, you will be required to supply Financial Aid Services with tax return transcripts and other documents to verify the financial and family information submitted on your FAFSA. If any discrepancies are found between the information on the FAFSA and other documents, your awards may be adjusted.

Continuing & Professional Education
100 Venture Way
Suite 201
Hadley, MA 01035-9430
413-577-3838 (fax)