March 2, 2018
On Friday, March 2, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed that the Smith College hospitalized recently with bacterial meningitis was infected with serogroup B. While this is the same meningitis serogroup as the outbreak at UMass Amherst, it is currently not known whether the cases are related.
It remains vitally important that UMass students continue getting vaccinated for meningococcal disease. To date, we have administered approximately 10,200 doses of Bexsero, the vaccine we are primarily using on campus.
We strongly urge you to come to one of the walk-in clinics this semester to continue the two-shot Bexsero vaccine series, or to start the series. No appointment is necessary. Remember to bring your insurance card and any documentation of vaccination received at home.
- Tuesday, March 6: 10 a.m.– 2 p.m., Commonwealth Honors College events hall east
- Tuesday, March 20: 3 – 6 p.m., UHS, room 302
- Wednesday, April 4: 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Campus Center room 168
- Wednesday, April 25: 3 – 6 p.m., UHS, room 302
Regularly updated information about meningococcal disease at UMass is at www.umass.edu/meningitis. If you have additional questions or concerns, call the UHS triage nurse, (413) 577-5229.
If these clinics don't fit into your schedule, call UHS, (413) 577-5101 to schedule a vaccination appointment.
Walk-in STI, HIV testing
Get tested at one of this semester's walk-in clinics – no appointment needed. Testing is the only way to know!
Protect yourself and others from flu:
- Wash your hands often; use hand sanitizer when you're on the go and can't wash
- Avoid touching your nose or mouth
- Cough or sneeze into a tissue or your sleeve – not your hands. Throw tissues in the trash
- Don't share food, drinks, utensils or similar items
- If you're sick, stay home from school or work. Limit contact with others
How do you know if it's a cold or flu? Get a clue with UHS' handy guide. For one-on-one answers or help, call UHS’ Triage Advice Nurse, (413) 577-5229 during health center hours.
For a flu shot appointment, call UHS, (413) 577-5101, or ask for a shot during a scheduled appointment. Costs are billed to insurance; bring your insurance card to the visit.
Tobacco-free info, help