Healthy at Work: Numerous studies have shown the negative impact sitting or standing for long periods of time can have on one’s body, mind, and work performance. Your body needs to move frequently throughout the day. Recognize what is and isn’t working well for you at work, as well as what you can do differently to make a big difference for yourself.
- How do you know if you are not moving enough at work? Read this article to help you find out.
- Try these tips if you are on your feet most of the day.
- Learn some quick “deskercises” that you can eventually do on your own. If you prefer yoga, here’s a short tutorial on yoga moves at your desk. If you have limited mobility, here are some exercises to benefit you.
- Set a reminder on your device to get up from your desk. Choose from the many apps available for your smart phone to schedule reminders, or set a recurring reminder on your calendar.
- Review these tips for how to position your workstation correctly to minimize strains.
- Utilize services at UMass: UMass Recreational Center provides programs, facilities, classes, and intramural sports throughout the year; and the Department of Kinesiology's Body Shop Fitness Center on campus is an additional resource for employees. To learn about steps involved to request a workplace accommodation for a disability, contact the Accessible Workplace office in Human Resources: Lori Corcoran, 325B Whitmore Building, UMass Amherst, 413-545-6948, firstname.lastname@example.org.