It is vital that supervisors and managers familarize themselves with the union contract that applies to their employees. When in doubt or have questions contact Labor Relations, and for MSP and GEO contact the Provost's Office.
Employees paid on an hourly basis are non-exempt employees and salaried employees are referred to as exempt employees (determined by federal laws governing the qualification for overtime compensation).
- American Federation of State, County & Municipal Employees (AFSCME Local 1776): Covers non exempt skilled trades, custodial, grounds, housing, food services and security employees
- University Staff Association (USA/MTA): Covers non-exempt clerical, technical and administrative employees
- Professional Staff Union/Massachusetts Teachers Association, (PSU/MTA): Covers mainly exempt administrative staff, and some non-exempt administrative staff
- Massachusetts Society of Professors (MSP): Covers all faculty and librarians
- Graduate Employee Organization (GEO): For teaching assistants and graduate interns
- International Brotherhood of Police Officers (IBPO) Local A&B
These handbooks are for:
- Non-Unit Classified (Exempt) Staff and
- Non-Unit Professional (Non-Exempt) Staff