- “National Centers for Innovation in Small Drinking Water Systems: Bringing Innovation to the Field.” National Rural Water Association Annual Conference, Orlando, September 2016.
- “National Centers for Innovation in Small Drinking Water Systems: WINSSS Status Report.” EPA Small Systems Workshop, Cincinnati, August 2016.
- “Meeting the Challenge of Providing Innovative Solutions for Small Drinking Water Systems: WINSSS.” Lower Platte Corridor Alliance, Ashland, NE, September 2015.
- “Water Innovation Network for Sustainable Small Systems.” EPA Small Systems Workshop, Cincinnati, August 2015.
Project A1: Implementing Ferrate Treatment of Drinking Water in the U.S.
- Goodwill, J.G., Jiang, Y., Reckhow, D.A., Gikonyo, J.G, and Tobiason, J.E. (2015) “Characterization of Particles from Ferrate Pre-oxidation.” Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 49, pp. 4955-4962.
- Goodwill, J.G., Jiang, Y., Reckhow, D.A., and Tobiason, J.E. (2016a) “Laboratory assessment of ferrate for drinking water treatment.” Journal American Water Works Association, Vol. 108.
- Goodwill, J.G., Mai, X., Jiang, Y., Reckhow, D.A., and Tobiason, J.E. (2016b) “Oxidation of manganese(II) with ferrate: Stoichiometry, kinetics, products and impact of organic carbon.” Chemosphere, Vol. 159, pp. 457-464.
- Jiang, Y., Goodwill, J.G., Tobiason, J.E, and Reckhow, D.A. (2015) “Effect of Different Solutes, Natural Organic Matter, and Particulate Fe(III) on Ferrate(VI) Decomposition in Aqueous Solutions.” Environmental Science & Technology, Vol. 49, pp. 2841-2848.
- Jiang, Y., Goodwill, J.G., Tobiason, J.E, and Reckhow, D.A. (2016a) “Impacts of ferrate oxidation on natural organic matter and disinfection byproduct precursors.” Water Research, Vol. 96, pp. 114-125.
- Jiang, Y., Goodwill, J.G., Tobiason, J.E, and Reckhow, D.A. (2016b) “Bromide oxidation by ferrate(VI): The formation of active bromine and bromate.” Water Research, Vol. 96, pp. 188-197.
- Goodwill et al. “Evaluation of Ferrate For Drinking Water Treatment.” AWWA ACE Chicago, June, 2016.
- Tobiason et al. “Ferrate Induced Particles in Drinking Water Treatment.” IWA Particle Separation Conference, Oslo, Norway, June 2016.
A2: Simultaneous Removal of Inorganic Contaminants, DBP Precursors, and Particles in Alum and Ferric Coagulation
- “Mechanisms of fluoride removal: adsorption and co-precipitation with aluminum hydroxide in the presence and absence of NOM.” ACS National Meeting, Denver, March 2015.
- “Impact of ligands on co-precipitation and adsorption with aluminum.” ACS National Meeting, Boston, March 2016.
A3: Contaminant reduction, life cycle impacts, and life cycle costs of ion exchange treatment and regeneration
- Ness, Alysse. "Pilot Scale Evaluation of Bicarbonate-form Anion Exchange for Small Systems." AWWA WQTC Conference, Indianapolis, November 2016.
- Ness, Alysse. "Pilot Scale Evaluation of Bicarbonate-form Anion Exchange for Small Systems." Florida AWWA Conference, Orlando, November 2016.
B1: A Standardized Approach to Technology Approval
- “State Survey on Acceptance of New Technology.” EPA Small Systems Workshop, Cincinnati, August 2015.
- “Developing a Better Understanding of Drinking Water Technology Approval.” ASDWA Annual Conference, October 2015.
- “State Survey to Improve Our Understanding of DW Treatment Technology Approval.” National Centers for Innovation in Small Drinking Water Systems (DeRISK, WINSSS, RE’SEAU), December 2015.
- “The WINSSS Experience in Understanding Barriers to Acceptance of New Technologies”, New England Water Works Association, March 2016.
- “Finding common ground for standardized approaches for state regulatory approval of new technologies,” AWWA ACE, Chicago, June 2016.
B3: Distributed Sensing
- Lofti Z Z, H. R.; Lai, R. Y. (2015). “Comparison of Nanostructured Silver-modified Silver and Carbon Ultramicroelectrodes for Electrochemical Detection of Nitrate.” Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 892, pp. 153-159.
- Electrochemistry Conference, University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX (Feb 2015)
- University of California at Riverside, Department of Chemistry, Riverside, CA (Jun 2015)
- Michigan State University, Department of Chemistry, East Lansing, MI (Apr 2015)
C: Assessment and Development of Treatment Processes for DBP Precursor and DBP Removal in Small Water Systems
- “Aluminum hydroxide, fluoride and NOM: Insights using infrared spectroscopy.” ACS General Meeting, San Diego, March 2016.
D: Biological Management of Nitrogenous Chemicals in Small Systems
- Ziv-El, M. et al. “Removal of ammonia and trace organic compounds in drinking water nitrifying biofilters: temporal variations in organic compound removal and microbial community structure.” AWWA Biological Treatment Symposium, Long Beach, California, January 2016.
- Ziv-El, M. et al. “Case Study: Ammonia and trace contaminant removal in bench- and pilot-scale biofilters: microbial community structures, robustness, and nitrogen disinfection byproducts.” AWWA Annual Conference and Exhibition, Chicago, Illinois, June 2016.
- Palmer, E. et al. “Impact of soluble microbial products on trace organic contaminant removal from drinking water.” Texas Water, Fort Worth, Texas, April 2016.