On Friday March 13, 2020 from 10:00 am to 11:30 am, the Campus Waste System Evaluation Summary Report and its supporting technical reports will be presented by DSM Environmental Services. The event will be held in the Great Room of the Old Chapel. Light refreshments will be provided. All are welcome to attend. No registration is required. Questions? Please contact John Pepi, firstname.lastname@example.org or (413) 577-3013.
Community Dialogue and Planning Kick-Off
This event on Friday March 13, 2020 kicks-off a community dialogue and planning process for a new decade in campus waste minimization programs by the study's sponsor, the UMass Amherst Physical Plant, and the Waste Reduction Subcommittee of the Chancellor's Sustainability Advisory Committee (CSAC).
The presentation, a culmination of a year-long effort to assess the effectiveness, cost, sustainability and future direction of the UMass Amherst campus waste management system, will address:
- current program performance including recycling, composting, landfilling
- barriers and opportunities
- realistic objectives
- pathways for future campus waste reduction
Technical Reporting On
- campus recyclables and compostables recovery rates
- contamination levels and causes
- proposed improvements to waste education efforts and waste handling infrastructure
- options for expansion of composting access
- best available strategies to minimize waste and the associated environmental impacts