Student Support Services

A directory of campus student support services is available on the internet – access the UMASS home page ( and click on services. Examples include:
        Dean of Students Office (413) 545-2684
        DuBois Library: Reference Desk, (413) 545-0150 Walk-in help or request a
                consultation with a subject-area librarian. 
        Learning Resource Center 10th Floor of DuBois Library, (413) 545-5334     
        Writing Center Learning Commons - Dubois Library
        Biology Resource Center 372 Morrill IV, 545-3631    
        Calculus Resource Center 110 Lederle Tower Hours: 3-8pm M-Th
        Chemistry Resource Center 151 Goessmann, (413) 545-2195
        Physics Help Room 205 Hasbrouck
        Pre-Calculus Help Center 114 LGRT Lederle Tower
        Committee for the Collegiate Education of Black and Other Minority Students     
                CCEBMS 205 New Africa House, (413) 545-0031
        Bilingual Collegiate Program (BCP) 101 Wilder Hall, 545-1968     
        Native American Student Supportive Services (NASSS) 11 Bartlett Hall    
        United Asia Learning Resource Center (UALRC) Knowlton Bldg., 545-1844     

College of Natural Sciences Academic Advising Office

The Associate Deans in the CNS Advising Center provide assistance with college career counseling and general academic policies and procedures including: late adds, withdrawals, repeat options, academic discipline, and referrals to other offices on campus. CNS Advising Center, 220 Morrill II,, 413-545-1969.

Academic Advising

Faculty advisors meet with students during orientation and introduce students to the program, assist  with registration for the students' first semester courses. Each student is assigned to an academic advisor.  The Department of Veterinary and Animal Sciences requires students to meet with their academic advisor during each of the fall and spring pre-registration periods. Faculty advisors remove the students' academic advising hold at that time which permits student to register for courses. Our Department encourages students to meet with their faculty advisor and seek advice in selecting a career option as well as meeting Veterinary & Animal Sciences and University requirements. The faculty may be particularly useful in providing guidance in the appropriate courses consistent with the student's career goals. Each student's advisor is listed in the student center of the student's SPIRE account. Advisors' offices are listed under the Contact Us tab of this web page.


Provides students with the support, resources and referrals they need to succeed at the university.  Staff is available to answer general questions, advocate on behalf of students, and connect students and their families to campus resources.  Services include:

  • Serving as a single point of contact within the University for students and their families in time of crisis
  • Consultation and referrals for students contemplating withdrawal from, or re-enrollment at, the University
  • Implementing and monitoring the University Conduct Process
  • Providing short-term, emergency loans for students
  • Supporting students through the Massachusetts Residency Reclassification process
  • Overseeing Off Campus Student Services, the University's Help Line, and the Student Services Committee


The Registrar’s Office website has a very comprehensive Frequently Asked Questions link for UMass students; it also allows students to access the forms necessary to do the following:  Transcript Request,  Official Change of Major, Track, Honors, and/or Degree, End of Semester Withdrawal Card, Application for Readmission, Prior Approval for Senior Year in Absentia, Prior Approval for Transfer Work and others.


Financial Aid Services strives to utilize all available resources to fill the gap that exists between family resources and the cost of a quality education. Financial Aid Services takes a comprehensive approach to identifying financial aid programs to best meet the financial needs of students through federal, state and University funding. FAFSA help sessions are held on Thursdays 2:30-4:30 in the CMass Office in Wilder Hall. The Financial Aid Services office is at 243 Whitmore, 413-545-0801,


The Department of Veterinary & Animal Sciences offers the following scholarships: Alvord Dairy, Anthony Borton, Brooks, Upton, Drew Memorial; Byron Colby, Richard Foley, J.D.W. French, Richard and Sandra Johnson, Nilsson, Jay Pirog and Victor Rice scholarships. The Pearson Family scholarship supports the Winter Travelling Dairy program.  Information about eligibility for each scholarship is available on the Department website Students must enroll in AcademicWorks, fill out both the UMass general application and the CNS application. AcademicWorks will automatically submit the student’s application to the scholarships and awards for which the student is fully eligible and will inform the student of other scholarships for which additional materials are required in order to apply.

Career Placement & Job Opportunities

The College of Natural Sciences has its own Career Center.  Utilize this CNS Career Center for all your career needs including help determining what to do after graduation, where to do an internship or get other experiential learning, resumes, cover letters, interviewing tips, internship and job searching techniques, and how to network.  Pro-tip: Read your weekly Career Center newsletter with career opportunities for the coming week.

Use the CNS Career Center website to access:

  • Handshake – internship, co-op and job board, as well as a listing of all skill building workshops, career fairs, employer information sessions and career events on campus and virtually. 

VASCI majors go into variety of diverse occupations that include technicians in the biotechnology field, veterinarians, veterinary assistants and technicians, equitation instructors, stable managers, teachers, extension agents, agribusiness sales and service, government agencies and farming.

  • Career Advising appointments are offered virtually and in person (Morrill II, Suite 321):
    • Make an appointment in Handshake to meet 1:1 with a professional Career Advisor
    • Walk in to our weekly Career Peer Advisor drop in hours.  No appointment necessary!  Hours change every semester so check Handshake or our Career Center website for up to date details.
  • Check our CNS Database of Internships and Research to get ideas on where to do an internship from where your fellow VASCI students have interned before.
  • Big Interview – will teach you how to answer interview questions, and allow you to practice a video interview.  You can also make an appointment with a Career Advisor to do a mock interview.
  • Thinking about Veterinary or other Graduate School?
    • The Career Center can help you with your personal statements.  Make an appointment in Handshake to talk to us about it.
  • Faculty members are also very interested in your career success and are willing to write letters of recommendation for students they know from class or advising. In recent years 25 – 35% of our graduates have entered veterinary, graduate or professional schools. 
  • Not sure where to start?  Make an appointment with us in Handshake, so we can help you figure out next steps.
Internships and co-op opportunities are additional services of the CNS Career Center. The office staff can aid students in locating and organizing an internship or co-op experience. Veterinary & Animal Sciences awards credit for these activities. Your advisor can help arrange internships, co-op and summer practicum contracts in conjunction with the Campus Career network which offers a "field experience survival kit" to help first time participants with this opportunity. Students may also pursue the Life Sciences Internship Challenge through the Massachusetts Life Sciences Center.  The Life Sciences Internship Challenge is a workforce development program focused on enhancing the talent pipeline for life sciences companies in Massachusetts. Advisors and other faculty members may also be aware of jobs that are available and can sometimes help students with job placement.  Advisors are also willing to review letters of application and resumes for you. Faculty members are very interested in your career success and are willing to write letters of recommendation for students they know from class work and/or advising. In recent years about 25% of our graduates have entered veterinary, graduate or professional schools. Others develop careers in a variety of diverse occupations that include technicians in the biotechnology field, veterinary assistants, equitation instructors, stable managers, teachers, extension agents, agribusiness sales and service, government agencies and farming. Most students graduating from veterinary schools enter veterinary practice, and most graduate students develop professional careers as university faculty members, industry professionals and research program leaders.

The Learning Resource Center (LRC) located on the 10th floor of the W.E.B. Du Bois Library offers free academic support including: tutoring, supplemental instruction and media viewing facilities for many first and second year courses which students tend to find difficult.  Tutors and Supplemental Instruction Leaders are model students trained to assist their peers in achieving academic success. Tutorial support is available on a walk-in basis; Monday through Thursday from 1:00 pm to 10:00 pm.  During Supplemental Instruction (SI) sessions, students compare notes, discuss readings, develop organizational tools and predict test items. For more information: or 545-5334.

The Center for Multicultural Advancement and Student Success (CMass) is comprised of four integrated functional areas: Academic Support, Student Development, Cultural Enrichment and Institutional Diversity. Using a student centered approach which values collaboration, dialogue and action, the programs and services offered engage first generation and ALANA (African, Latino/Latina, Asian and Native American) students and colleagues in courageous, inclusive and supportive learning experiences. The CMass office is located in Wilder Hall, 413-545-2517,

The Ombuds Office and Academic Honesty Office is available to all members of the University community to help resolve University-related conflicts impartially. Ombuds personnel listen, ask questions and help individuals weigh options. When appropriate, they offer informal mediation or facilitate communication. They serve as a neutral "process manager" for academic grievances and charges of academic dishonesty by coordinating the associated hearing processes. The Ombuds Office is located in the Campus Center Room 823, 413-545-0867,

SPIRE is the online University of Massachusetts Student Information System.  Students should log on to SPIRE to monitor their progress by viewing their Academic Requirements Report, which shows courses completed, transfer courses accepted and what they were applied towards, grades and credit hours earned, as well as indicating outstanding University requirements. Before meeting with their departmental academic advisor, students should plan their classes and note all University Gen Ed requirements that are outstanding.  The SPIRE website also gives students direct secure access to administrative data such as class schedules, grades, billing information and financial aid status. Students can use SPIRE to print out unofficial transcripts. To access SPIRE, students use the same username (Net ID) and password that they use for their UMass email account. Students should check their email daily and update their SPIRE account information regularly with any changes in address, phone number, and non UMass e-mail address.

The Information Technologies office develops, maintains, and supports computing, instructional technology, and telecommunications services at UMass Amherst. The office is located in Lederle Graduate Research Center Lowrise & 101 University Drive, Help Desk 413-545-9400. The IT Help Center is the first point of contact for all IT clients with computer-related questions or problems. Website:

Moodle is the learning management system (LMS) at UMass Amherst; it is used to deliver course content and host online learning activities.

This program provides a unique opportunity for first-year students who have been accepted into the Animal Science RAP to connect with other motivated Animal Science majors, meet faculty, and learn about opportunities within the Veterinary and Animal Sciences Dept. Students enrolled in this RAP will live together in Knowlton Hall in the Northeast residential area and will take a 1-credit seminar course in the fall semester of their first year designed to enhance their academic experience and promote a successful transition into the University.

The Integrated Concentration in Science (iCons) program is designed to produce the next generation of leaders in science and technology with the attitudes, knowledge, and skills needed to solve the inherently multi-disciplinary problems facing our world. The iCons program is composed of three courses (one per year) and a senior capstone project. iCons curriculum integrates scientific expertise across disciplines and gives students the opportunity to work on real-world problems from day one. This program provides students with collaborative learning experiences, discovery-based projects, leadership development, and multi-disciplinary analytical skills. iCons currently  provides integrative science education in Biomedicine or Renewable Energy.  It is an 18-credit academic program offered by the College of Natural Sciences at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. iCons does not replace your major, it enhances your major by giving you an opportunity to work with an interdisciplinary team of students and apply your knowledge to existing problems of global significance.  Admission to iCons is limited and competitive. All students are required to submit an application. The application can be found on the iCons website.

The Office of Undergraduate Research and Studies (OURS) is committed to helping students navigate electronic and print information regarding available research and scholarly opportunities, including the Five College Coastal & Marine NOAA Internship. For an extensive list of opportunities and a 1:1 consultation, please visit the Office of Undergraduate Research and Studies. Their office is located in room 1020 on the tenth floor of the W.E.B. DuBois Library. Tel. 413- 545-5334

UMass Amherst full and part-time students, who meet specific criteria, are eligible to enroll in courses at Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith Colleges.  The criteria are: second semester freshman (or beyond), in good academic standing, registered in at least one 3-credit UMass course. (NOTE:  Special Students, Continuing & Professional Education and Dual Enrollment Students are not eligible.) Registration for a Five College course is easy, but it is different than registering for a UMass course.  Students should access for specific step by step registration instructions, rules and regulations.  The UMass Five College Interchange Office is located at 613 Goodell Building, Telephone (413) 545-5352.

Campus Pulse is the gateway to hundreds of campus activities, campus offices, and more than 200 student organizations.  The groups include: community service organizations, student government, ethnic and cultural groups, religious and spiritual organizations, fraternity and sororities, student run businesses, media related groups, groups that grow from academic interests, and groups dedicated to athletics and recreation, socializing, arts and entertainment, and politics. Campus Pulse provides a daily calendar where students can find out about dozens of interesting campus events and activities.  Through Campus Pulse, you can: explore your interests, discover new things, develop your involvement resume, and have a rich and fulfilling UMass Amherst experience as well as connect to a wide community that includes Registered Student Organizations (RSOs), The Student Government Association (SGA), The Center for Student Development, The Student Activities & Involvement Center, and Residence Life.

Members attain both organizational and professional skills through weekly meetings and planned activities. The Club recognizes the importance of integrating the competent care of animals and the ability to work closely with people. Meetings are interactive and topic choices involve the constant input of club members. All UMass undergraduate students are welcome to join.

 The Mentoring Group offers tutoring and social events including guest speakers, group dinners and movie nights.  Meetings are held every other week and focus on various topics including tips on: developing good study habits and good note taking skills, lab courses, “surviving” on campus and campus life, the Commonwealth College, studying abroad, and how to get the best experience with animal science classes. Upper class VASCI students are matched with underclassmen and each mentor guides 3 to 4 mentees.

Students are encouraged to participate in the annual student organized Bay State Livestock Classic show held in April each year. Students register for ANIMLSCI 297L and are taught through hands-on experience the grooming and showing of cattle, sheep, goats and horses.

NESA – Northeast Student Affiliate Division of the American Dairy Science Association Students from twelve Northeastern universities compete in: livestock judging, a quiz bowl, paper presentations and a competition in which students who are participating in original undergraduate research present their results.

UHS provides comprehensive primary medical care for adults and children, walk-in care, mental health care and many other services and programs.   UHS’ staff includes physicians who are board-certified in family practice, internal medicine, pediatrics and sports medicine; family nurse practitioners collaborate with physicians and provide a full range of primary care services. It is recommended that new students choose a UHS primary care provider and schedule a welcome appointment to get acquainted.  Your primary care provider, or PCP, coordinates your health care and can refer you for services as needed. UHS services also include: a pharmacy, acupuncture, allergy shots, eye care, health promotion, HIV testing, immunizations, nutrition services, obstetrics and gynecology, optical services, orthopedics, pediatrics, physical therapy, radiology and ultrasound, sexual health, sports medicine, and alcohol and other drug risk prevention Participation in BASICS is mandatory for students violating campus policies, cited by the police, or transported to the emergency room because of intoxication. Same-day appointments are available at UHS. Call 413-577-5101.  If you don't know whether you should be seen, or if you have questions, call the UHS’ Triage Advice Nurse, 413- 577-5229, during health center hours. For after-hours medical and mental health advice, call 413-577-5000.

Center for Counseling and Psychological Health - CCPH
Confidential services used by a quarter of the student population include stress reduction, crisis intervention, short-term therapy for individuals, couples and families, support and therapy groups, behavioral medicine, psychiatric services and an eating disorders clinic.  Length of therapy varies, with a primary focus on short-term treatment directed at helping students function in a university environment. The student and therapist will determine the best approach for the student. CCPH does not have the capacity to manage chronic conditions requiring intensive or frequent contacts. If our short-term care model will not adequately meet the student’s needs, the therapist will discuss referral resources with the student. Clinical services are strictly confidential. No information is released without your permission, except in extreme, life-threatening emergencies or when required by law. Emergency services are available 24/7 every day. During business hours - Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., call the CCPH at 413-545-2337.  After 5 p.m., on weekends or holidays, call UHS, 413-577-5000, and ask for the CCPH clinician on-call.  The main office is located at 127 Hills North, in the Central Residential Area. Facing the Hills building, look for the UHS Annex sign, next to the doorway on the far left side.  Offices are also located at 123 Berkshire House, off Massachusetts Avenue. For more information go to

The Office of Disability Services promotes the empowerment of people with disabilities and their full integration into campus life and the community by providing a wide variety of services to students with documented disabilities. Many accommodations are available at the University to ensure that students with disabilities have equal access to the educational and co-curricular process, without compromising essential components of the curriculum. Accommodations are determined on an individual basis, based on the student’s documentation. A “reasonable” accommodation refers to an accommodation that is appropriate as well as effective and efficient, and is agreed upon by the University and the consumer with a disability.  For accommodations to be timely, they must be arranged well in advance. Students are responsible for contacting Disability Services at the beginning of each semester so that reasonable accommodations can be made in a timely manner (first two weeks of classes, or first week of summer or winter session). The office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on weekdays. Disability Services is located at 161 Whitmore Administration Building, 181 Presidents Drive, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003-9313, Phone (V/TTY): 413.545.0892, Fax: 413.577.0122, Website:  For a description of each accommodation please see

The accommodations most frequently provided include, but are not limited to:                   

  • Additional time to complete assignments
  • Alternate Formats for Printed Course Materials    
  • Alternate Types of Exams
  • Assistive Technology
  • Captioning Services
  • Classroom Access Assistants
  • Document Conversion
  • Extended Time on Exams
  • Extension of Statute of Limitations
  • Exam Proctoring
  • Learning Specialists
  • Modification of Graduation Requirements
  • Note-Taking Services
  • Paratransit Services
  • Prepared Materials Before Class
  • Reduced Course Load
  • Sign Language Interpreters and Oral Transliterators
  • Tape Recorders