The following is a summary of the University’s grading system. For more detailed information the student should consult the most recent edition of Dean of Students Office Code of Student Conduct. The University's official grading system is: A (4.0), A- (3.7), B+ (3.3), B (3.0),B- (2.7) , C+ (2.3), C (2.0), C- (1.7), D+ (1.3), D (1.0), F (0.0), IF (incomplete failure calculates as an F for students without graduate standing), INC (Incomplete calculates as an F for students without graduate standing until final grade is received), P (Pass: No effect on cumulative average, but is added to graduation credits). Courses marked F, INC, W, Y, NR, blank or AUD do not earn graduation credit. Courses below the 100-level earn semester credit but not degree credit. They are factored into the semester and cumulative grade point averages. Students who are unable to complete course requirements within the allotted time because of severe medical or personal problems may request a grade of Incomplete from the Instructor. Grades of Incomplete will be converted to Failing if not resolved by the end of the following semester.

Repeated Courses

Students may retake an unlimited number of classes to replace the grade, but only once (without permission from the dean) for each class. SPIRE will stop students from registering for a course for the third time. Students can register for a course for a second time, and if their first grade is a "C-" or below, they can replace the first grade with the second grade in their calculated GPA. The grades received in both the original course and the repeated enrollment remain on the student’s record. Successful repetition of a course originally graded F will yield credit toward graduation.  If their first grade is a "C" or above, they can register a second time and receive a grade that will appear on their transcript, but with 0 credits. This is called an "illegal repeat" but does not have any sanctions. This grade will be multiplied by 0 credits, and thus the product of 0 will not impact the GPA. Students who need to retake a course for a third time because they have failed a major-required course twice or need a "C" or higher minimum grade to progress will have the opportunity to appeal online to the College of Natural Sciences dean. Permission for a third repeat is rarely granted by the dean and students should take the opportunity to reevaluate their choice of major.

Pass/Fail Policy

The Department of Veterinary & Animal Sciences concurs with the UMass Pass/Fail program which provides that any full-time undergraduate shall be eligible to use a pass/fail option in one course each semester except for courses taken to satisfy the General Education requirements.  We emphasize the established purpose of the pass/fail program is “to encourage full-time students to be usefully venturesome in the choice of their elective courses.” Students can choose the pass/fail option in SPIRE. The Department of Veterinary & Animal Sciences requires that all Departmental major requirements be taken on a graded basis. Because of the reluctance or refusal of some veterinary school and graduate school admission boards to evaluate transcripts with pass/fail courses, students who anticipate applying for admission to professional or graduate schools are encouraged to take all Departmental courses and all math and science courses on a graded basis.

Academic Status

The Academic Status may be confusing because of the many categories in which a student may be placed. The following is a brief description of the common academic status categories; for more details consult the most recent edition of Code of Student Conduct  published annually by the UMass Dean of Students office. 

Good Standing
Students are in good academic standing when their cumulative grade point average is 2.00 or above. The number of credits per semester is not used to determine good academic status. However, the Registrar's Office will issue a credit alert to students who have earned less than 12 credits per semester. If 48 degree credits have not been earned by the end of four semesters, the student must obtain approval of an academic plan for graduation.

Academic Warning
Students with a cumulative average of 2.00 or above but whose semester average is less than 2.00 (C grade), will be sent a warning stating that they should consult their academic advisor.

Academic Probation
Students whose cumulative average falls below 2.00 will be placed on Academic Probation. Students who have been placed on Academic Probation or who have received a second consecutive Academic Warning should contact their undergraduate dean.

Academic Suspension
Students who have been on Academic Probation and who fail to achieve or maintain good standing in any subsequent semester will be placed on Academic Suspension unless they meet requirements for a successful appeal of their academic status. Suspension means that the student may not be enrolled in the succeeding semester; it is a one-semester separation from the University.

Probation Continued
Students subject to Academic Suspension or Dismissal whose semester's work shows substantial improvement, may, be placed on Probation Continued instead of being suspended or dismissed at the discretion of their undergraduate dean.

If you are a full-time student and want to take more than 19 credits, you must request a credit overload. Use the Credit Overload Petition form to request an increase in your credit limit. No overloads will be approved for first-semester students - both first year and transfer. If approved for a credit overload, students are not allowed to register for the extra courses via SPIRE until late July for fall semester and late November for spring semester. Credit overloads will not be approved for the current semester for work done previously. For example, if a student does an internship/independent study during the summer, credits must be arranged through University Without Walls (UWW/CPE). It is not possible for work done in the summer to be reflected as credits earned in the fall.