Skip to main content
The University of Massachusetts Amherst

How to Enroll as an Inactive Student

So you've been away from the University for awhile and want to take a class. We're happy to have you back.

As you may be aware, you can self-enroll in classes using our student information system, SPIRE, but because you're record is inactive, we need to collect some information from you in order to reactivate it first.

NOTE: If you are an inactive undergraduate degree student and are interested in being reactivated into either your old degree program or a new UWW degree program, please go directly to our admissions page and click on the program for which you are interested in pursuing. 

Below are the instructions for requesting account reactivation and next steps that are necessary for enrollment.

  1. Complete the Non-Degree Enrollment Form. Processing of this form will take a couple of business days.
  2. Once the form has been processed by our office, you will be emailed credentials and instructions for logging into SPIRE.
  3. Log into SPIRE and request a UWW Enrollment Appointment by navigating to Main Menu > Enrollment > Summer/Wtr/Non-deg Enroll Appt. This appointment represents the time period during which you will be able to enroll in UWW classes in SPIRE. For detailed instructions, please visit our Requesting an Enrollment Appointment in SPIRE page.
  4. Once you have your enrollment appointment, you can then enroll in your classes by navigating to Main Menu, Enrollment and then Add Classes/Shopping Cart. For more information, please visit the Enroll in Classes Using SPIRE page.

If you have any questions, please contact us.