How to Enroll as a New Student
Welcome! You don't need to be an active degree-seeking student to take classes. You can self-enroll in classes as a non-degree student using our student information system, SPIRE, however, because you have never taken classes at UMass Amherst, we will need to collect some information so that we can create a student record for you first.
This process applies to individuals:
- admitted to the University but would like to take classes before their official start term.
- admitted to a certificate program taking their first class.
- ready to take a class at the university as non-degree seeking students.
Below are the instructions for requesting your student record creation and next steps that are necessary for enrollment.
- Complete the Non-Degree Enrollment Form. This form collects information about you that enables us to create your student record. Processing of this form will take a couple of business days.
- Once the form has been processed by our office, you will be emailed credentials and instructions for logging into SPIRE.
- Log into SPIRE and request a UWW Enrollment Appointment by navigating to Main Menu > Enrollment > Summer/Wtr/Non-deg Enroll Appt. This appointment represents the time period during which you will be able to enroll in UWW classes in SPIRE. For detailed instructions, please visit our Requesting an Enrollment Appointment in SPIRE page.
- Once you have your enrollment appointment, you can then enroll in your classes by navigating to Main Menu, Enrollment and then Add Classes/Shopping Cart. For more information, please visit the Enroll in Classes Using SPIRE page.
If you have any questions, please contact us.