English Language Proficiency Requirements
All non-native speakers of English, whether planning to study online or on campus in Massachusetts, must verify their English language proficiency in one of the following ways. Your application is not considered complete until English language proficiency requirements have been fulfilled.
- TOEFL score of 80 (internet-based)
- IELTS score of 6.5 or higher
- English education: Entire secondary education (four years) is at a school where English is the primary language of instruction and the British or American curriculum is followed.
The score reports must be less than two years old and come to UWW Admissions directly from the testing service.
NOTE: We are committed to reducing barriers caused by COVID-19 disruptions for students who plan to apply for admission. Therefore, until further notice, the following tests will temporarily be accepted as approved examinations for English proficiency:
- TOEFL ITP Plus for China: minimum score of 550 is required (scores will be provided by Vericant)
- TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition: minimum score of 80 is required (code #3917)
- IELTS Indicator: minimum composite score of 6.5 on the academic test with no subscore lower than 6.0 (We will not accept paper IELTS test report forms)
- Duolingo English Test (DET): minimum score of 105 is required.
Applicants may request an ESL exam exemption if they have completed two non-ESL English composition courses with grades of B or better and additional coursework in the humanities and social sciences with B or better grades.
Exemption from the ESL exam requirement is not automatic but is based on a complete review of the applicant’s academic history.