Apply to RN to BS
Welcome! We are excited you’ve decided to apply.
The admission process differs depending on your current relationship with UWW and UMass Amherst. We put together the following guide to assist you.
Transfer Credits: If you are unsure of admissibility to the Online RN-BS program, the University Without Walls Admissions office can provide an evaluation of prior coursework and let you know which credits are transferable. To request an evaluation, please complete the Transfer Credit Evaluation Request form before you apply.
Which Form Do I Use?
All applicants should use the UWW Undergraduate Admissions Application with the exception of former University Without Walls (UWW) or Continuing & Professional Education (CPE) students who were matriculated and enrolled in classes as part of a UMass Amherst UWW/CPE program but did not complete their degree. These applicants should use the UWW Undergraduate Reactivation Form instead.
NOTE: If you were matriculated into a UWW/CPE program but never enrolled in any classes, use the UWW Undergraduate Admissions Application.
To be considered for admission, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Completion of 52 non-nursing credits, including the following courses (grade C or better required):
- Anatomy and Physiology I and II
- Life Span Development
- Additional General Education courses
- All courses must be 3 or 4 semester hours. Course taken as quarter credits will be multiplied by .67, those that don't equal the equivalent of at least 3 credits will not be considered as fulfilling the nursing pre-requisite requirement.
- RN licensure
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
NOTE: NLN exams cannot be used to satisfy any prerequisite courses.
|Starting Semester||Early Application
($60 Application Fee)
|Spring||October 1||November 1|
|Summer||March 1||March 15|
Admissions are done on a rolling basis.
In order to be considered for admission, please make sure that all of the required application materials are received by the following date:
Applications are not considered complete and cannot be reviewed until we have received all required materials. Complete applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received.
Applicants who are returning to UMass Amherst after an absence of at least three years may have their prior work excluded from the calculation of their cumulative grade point average subject to certain conditions. This is known as the "Fresh Start" policy, because you begin a new cumulative GPA upon readmission. Please review the Fresh Start policy for more information including eligibility requirements. Questions about this policy can be directed to @email.
The following materials are required when applying to this program, some of which will be collected as part of the application.
NOTE: For those applicants using the UWW Undergraduate Reactivation form to apply, please refer to the application for any required materials as they may be different than those noted below.
- Copy of current RN License
- Professional Reference
- Official Transcript(s): Submit official college transcripts from all colleges you have previously attended, regardless of whether credit is desired. UMass Amherst accepts electronic transcripts from official third parties (eScrip-Safe, Parchment, etc.) or directly from the Registrar's office of the issuing school. Student-submitted transcripts are not accepted. Transcripts can be sent to the UWW Admissions, UMass Amherst, 350 Campus Center Way, Amherst, MA 01003-2902 or email to @email. Maximum transfer credit is 75 semester credits.
- English Language Proficiency Documentation
If English is not your first language, please review our English Language Proficiency Requirements.
- International Transcript(s), if applicable.
If you have attended a post-secondary college or university, official transcripts are required whether or not transfer credit is desired. International Students: Please review our International Applicant's Guide.
What Happens After I Apply?
Following receipt of your application, you will be sent an email with further information. Within 5-6 business days, you will also receive credentials that will allow you to log into our student information system (SPIRE) where you will be able to check the status of your application and missing materials, if applicable.
NOTE: Application review will not take place until we have received all required materials in our office. It is essential for you to check the status of your application and remit any materials as quickly as possible. Decisions are generally determined within 4-6 weeks from the start of application review.
Please add the @umass.edu domain to your Safe Senders list so that important emails from UMass Amherst don't get caught in your spam filter. You can follow these instructions on how to add to your Safe Senders list for Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and a few others.