Hours: M-F 8:30-5 PM ET
Whether you are a seasoned journalist or new to the field, the UWW Interdisciplinary Studies program will help you finish your bachelor’s degree online with a focus in journalism so you can help tell the world’s stories.
You can tailor your degree with courses in news writing and reporting, interviewing skills, visual storytelling, journalism ethics, journalism and law, magazine writing, public relations, social media, food writing, media and politics, and more.
- You’re in the Driver’s Seat: Design your own degree concentration through your perfect mix of 100% online courses, and optional blended or on-campus offerings to fit your busy life. Plus, most of the UWW courses are asynchronous, meaning you can complete them on your schedule.
- Accelerate Your Degree: Bring in or earn up to 105 credits for your prior coursework, prior learning, and life and work experience to accelerate your degree, saving you time and money.
- Cross Disciplinary Boundaries: Craft your individualized degree concentration to suit your goals and interests, from taking online courses in communications to study the intersection of journalism, media, and culture, to focusing on online government and global issues courses to learn about political and international journalism.
- Community College Friendly: Learn about the Mass Transfer Gen Ed Foundation and benefit from our 50-year history of support for community college students.
- Boston Children's Hospital and Mass General Brigham employees: Receive a 10% discount and more. Learn more about how you can benefit from our employer partnerships.
Your Future in Journalism
With an Interdisciplinary Studies degree focused in journalism, you will be prepared for a host of important and dynamic professions in the field of journalism, including public relations specialist, content marketer, reporter, social media specialist, and more.
- $63,200: Median annual wage for writers and authors
- $61,150: Median annual wage for public relations specialists
- 8%: Projected employment growth for advertising, promotions, and marketing managers from 2018 to 2028—faster than average
- $56,770: Median annual wage for social media specialists
Flexible, Cross-Disciplinary Courses
You will study with award winning instructors and professional journalists at the top of their field through the nationally recognized UMass Journalism and Communication Departments.
To give you an idea of the types of online journalism and related courses that you could choose from, here is a sampling offered over the past few years.
|JOURNAL||201||Introduction To Journalism|
|JOURNAL||235||Principles of Public Relations|
|JOURNAL||300||Newswriting and Reporting|
|JOURNAL||310||Going Global: International Journalism|
|JOURNAL||333||Introduction to Visual Storytelling|
|JOURNAL||392P||Writing for Public Relations|
|JOURNAL||392S||Opinion Writing: Columns|
|JOURNAL||445||Journalism & Law|
|COMM||121||Introduction to Media and Culture|
|COMM||122||Intro to Media Programming & Institutions|
|COMM||289||Media, Public Relations & Propaganda|
|COMM||335||Media and Education|
|COMM||497NP||News and Public Opinion|
|FILM-ST||397D||Short Documentary Filmmaking|