Hours: M-F 8:30-5 PM ET
Film and Media Studies
Whether you work in film and media already or have a passion for the subject and want to kickstart a career, this bachelor's degree in Interdisciplinary Studies online with a focus in film and media studies prepares you to think critically and lead with integrity within this rapidly evolving field.
Through the UWW Degree Completion Program, you can tailor this degree with online courses in filmmaking, digital narrative production, screenwriting, TV pilot script, visual storytelling, media programming and institutions, media literacy, film theory, film criticism, media representation of sex and race, media and education, public relations, news writing and reporting, social media, film and TV law, and more.
- You’re in the Driver’s Seat: Design your own degree concentration through your perfect mix of 100% online courses, and optional blended and on-campus offerings to fit your busy life. Plus, most of our courses are asynchronous, meaning you can complete them on your schedule.
- Accelerate Your Degree: Bring in or earn up to 105 credits for your prior coursework, prior learning, and life and work experience to accelerate your degree, saving you time and money.
- Cross Disciplinary Boundaries: Craft your individualized degree concentration to suit your goals and interests, from taking online courses in political science to focusing on history to help prepare to create political or historical documentaries.
Your Future in Film and Media
With an Interdisciplinary Studies degree with a focus in film and media, you will develop the theoretical foundation and applied skills you need to enhance your career within a host of dynamic professions, including film and video production, distribution, exhibition, and editing, digital and new media, TV and radio, public relations, film and media criticism, arts journalism, arts management, and more.
- $63,780: Median annual wage for film and video editors
- 8%: Projected employment growth for broadcast and sound engineering technicians from 2018 to 2028—faster than average
- $74,420: Median annual wage for producers and directors
- 8%: Projected employment growth for public relations and fundraising managers from 2018 to 2028—faster than average
- $61,150: Median annual wage for public relations specialists
- 8%: Projected employment growth for advertising, promotions, and marketing managers from 2018 to 2028—faster than average
- $56,770: Median annual wage for social media specialists
Flexible, Cross-Disciplinary Courses
You will study with award winning instructors and professional filmmakers at the top of their fields through a wide range of academic departments, including Film Studies, Communication, Journalism, Marketing, and more.
To give you an idea of the types of online film and media studies and related courses that you could choose from, here is a sampling offered over the past few years.
|ANTHRO||106||Culture Through Film|
|BDIC||391A||Digital Photography for the Non-Art Major|
|COMM||121||Introduction to Media and Culture|
|COMM||122||Intro to Media Programming & Institutions|
|COMM||140||Introduction to Film Studies|
|COMM||287||Advertising as Social Communication|
|COMM||284||Possible Futures: Science Fiction in Global Cinemas|
|COMM||288||Gender, Sex & Representation|
|COMM||289||Media, Public Relations & Propaganda|
|COMM||335||Media and Education|
|COMM||397WW||Sports, Culture and Advertising|
|COMM||497NP||News and Public Opinion|
|FILM-ST||284||The Undead Souths: Southern Gothic and Francophone Mythologies in Film & Television|
|FILM-ST||297G||TV Screenwriting Pilot Episode|
|FILM-ST||297M||Making Short Films|
|FILM-ST||297S||Screenwriting I: Idea to Outline|
|FILM-ST||397D||Short Documentary Filmmaking|
|FILM-ST||397J||Film Production: How the Craft Works|
|FILM-ST||397K||Screenwriting: Story Telling for Film and Video Media|
|FILM-ST||397S||Screenwriting: Short film, Web series|
|FILM-ST||397Z||Classical Hollywood Cinema|
|FILM-ST||497Z||The Horror Film|
|JOURNAL||391PR||Social Media & Public Relations|
|LEGAL||297TV||Law in Film & TV|
|MARKETING||413||Social Media & Marketing Analysis|
|MARKETING||491F||Topics in Social Media|
|POLISCI||201||American Politics Through Film|
|SPORTSMGT||392C||Sport and Digital Media|
|UWW||397V||Special Topics- Documenting Experiential Learning: Theory & Practice of Digital Narrative Production|
|WGSS||297R||Sex, Race and Cinema|