7%: Projected employment growth for preschool and childcare center directors from 2018 to 2028—faster than average
Hours: M-F 8:30-5 PM ET
Early Childhood Education
Whether you are a seasoned educator or new to the field, this online bachelor’s degree in Interdisciplinary Studies with a focus in early childhood education will help you develop the knowledge you need to open your own childcare center, become a pre-school educator, or advance your career within public or private childcare programs such as Head Start, YMCA, 4-H, scouting, and a variety of preschools and afterschool programs.
Through the UWW Degree Completion Program, you can also tailor your degree to your professional interests with online courses in multicultural education, early childhood curriculum, reading, math and science methods, inclusion, and children's behavior and behavior management.
- You’re in the Driver’s Seat: Design your own degree concentration through your perfect mix of 100% online courses, and optional blended, or on-campus offerings to fit your busy life. Plus, most of our courses are asynchronous, meaning you can complete them on your schedule.
- Accelerate Your Degree: Bring in or earn up to 105 credits for your prior coursework, prior learning, and life and work experience to accelerate your degree, saving you time and money.
- Cross Disciplinary Boundaries: Craft your individualized degree concentration to suit your goals and interests, from taking online courses in arts management to run an arts-based preschool program, to focusing on online business courses to study early childhood education administration.
- Scholarships for Massachusetts Early Childhood Educators: If you live and work as an early childhood educator in Massachusetts, you may qualify for a state scholarship.
- Attention Montessori Teachers: You can even earn degree credit for your Montessori trainings.
- Mass General Brigham employees: Receive a 10% discount and more through our affiliation with Mass General Brigham.
Your Future in Early Childhood Education
Your degree can be designed to satisfy Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care certification as a preschool teacher and preschool lead teacher. If you live in a state other than Massachusetts, our staff member Jesse Lederman would be happy to help you identify the state board or agency you will need to contact to determine if our program meets your state’s early education and care licensure requirements.
Flexible, Cross-Disciplinary Courses
You will study with distinguished instructors at the College of Education, the Department of Psychology and Brain Sciences, and other related departments.
To give you an idea of the types of online early childhood education and related courses that you could choose from, here is a sampling offered over the past few years. Want to build a degree concentration in Early Childhood Education Administration? Add business courses.
|EDUC||101||Introduction to Education: Schooling in the United States|
|EDUC||210||Social Diversity in Education|
|EDUC||301||Young Children in Families and Schools|
|EDUC||325||Introduction to Special Education|
|EDUC||351||Foundations of Education|
|EDUC||377||Introduction to Multicultural Education|
|EDUC||378||Survey of Children's Literature|
|EDUC||393M||Intro to Early Childhood Education|
|EDUC||395A||Early Childhood Methods & Curriculum|
|EDUC||491A||Introduction to Inclusion|
|COMM||335||Media and Education|
|PSYCH||297D||Disorders in Children|
|PSYCH||397D||Autism Spectrum Disorder|
|PSYCH||480||Intellectual Disability: Concepts and Controversies|
|PSYCH||491D||Impact of Disabilities on Families|
|SOCIOL||322||Sociology of Education|
|SOCIOL||382||Sociology of Childhood|
|UWW||301||Prosocial Behavior Development in Children|
|UWW||360||Experiential Reflections of Learning and Education|
|UWW||377||Child Abuse & Neglect: Multidisciplinary Approaches|
|UWW||397U||Observing & Assessing Children's Behavior|